OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

remington 870 barrel

Started by northern wind, May 17, 2011, 10:07:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

northern wind

Hi there, I hunt turkeys with a remington 870 and it's original 28" barrel with a pure gold turkey choke.
I'm wondering if the 20"/23" "turkey barrel" would be any better.  Ok, a little shorter could be a little more handy while walking in the bush but I don't mind my 28" about that.  Would the turkey barrel give a better pattern ?   Is it back borred ? IS IT REALLY BETTER ?

jonhaga

Pattern wise I don't believe you would see an improvement. I have a 28in 870 and it's averages are better than my 26in 870 and my friends 23in. Just my opinion though.

renegade19

I hunt with the 28" on my 870 and love it.  Only complaint would be mobility in the woods.  With the extra length, it'll catch on brush and stuff that a shorter barrell will miss.

gophert

I have shot both 26" (came with gun) and the 23" out of my 870 SM.  As far as pattern, apples to apples, the 26" threw a 308 at 40 and the 23" threw a 277 with Hevi 13 3.5" #7s.

I personally like the feel of the shorter barrel and that is the one I use.  To me the shorter, slightly more maneuverable 23" out weighs the extra pellet count.

Hope this helps.

West Augusta

The 28"er that came on me 870 Express Super Mag wouldn't pattern any shell I bought.  I switched out to a 24" with a .665 Jellyhead and am very happy with 260's at 40 with Hevi-13 MagBlends.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

Gobble!

with the right choke/shell combo a 23" barrel will be just a lethal at 50 yards as a 28" barrel. The longer barrel will produce slightly better patterns but not enough that it really matters.

pullit

I have found that choke shell combo is more important than barrel length.

Deputy 14

The biggest difference is the extra velocity you will get with the extra barrel length. I think it's about 15 fps for every inch up to 28.