OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Thoughts on repairing rail on box call

Started by HuntMD75, July 05, 2020, 05:07:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HuntMD75

I have a small chip/splinter on a box call rail. Call maker told me to use 5 minute epoxy and toothpick to apply under splinter. Sand if needed with 320. Has anyone made any small similar repairs?

Ben

paboxcall

I had a small crack start on the left edge of the paddle on a production short box. Took 220 grit and sanded that crack out of the paddle, no harm.

I would think the suggested repair would work. Was the split from damage or a check that developed in the wood grain?
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

HuntMD75

The box was purchased second hand and I believe damage was from misuse.  Damage is on right rail kinda on inside as rail edge rolls over. Thanks for feedback.

paboxcall

Probably already know this but just keep the sanding you do off the rail edge itself. Good luck, let us know how it works for you.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

HuntMD75

I will post how it works out this week.

HuntMD75

Update- It worked great!!  I followed call makers instructions using a toothpick and 5 minute epoxy placing a tiny bit of epoxy under splinter/chip and let it dry overnight. I just completed sanding it with 320 and you can't even tell it was done. I also don't notice any difference in sound comparing both sides.  I taped around spot so I didn't get any epoxy on any other parts including top of rail.

paboxcall

outdoors

Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

sbbow

Tom007

"Solo hunter"