turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Tips on cleaning inside of wingbones?

Started by Jrkimbrough, June 24, 2020, 08:27:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jrkimbrough

Got some wingbones prepping. Any tips cleaning the inside of wingbones?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blake_08

I use a drill bit in a rotary tool for the end that you cup in your hands. That big bone has a lot of stuff to come out. For the two other smaller bones i use "pipe cleaners" that you usually find in the craft section at wal-mart. That's after i've boiled the bones in water and dawn dish soap.

chadly

ChesterCopperpot

I've always just used an air compressor to blow out or a stick/pipe cleaner to pull through the radius and ulna to get out all that gunky marrow. The humerus doesn't really have a lot of marrow in it. I do that before I boil them clean. Once clean I use some really small files to clean out the spindly, connective stuff inside the humerus. And that's all I do.

buckmark13

Carefully use power washer, or even garden hose. Similar to euro mount for a deer skull...talk about gunk!

idgobble

After boiling and while still soft inside use a pipe cleaner in your power drill.

catman529

I use this bit on a dremel for the large bone. The smaller ones, I usually wash and shake them out in hot water, then twist up a strip of paper towel and run it through a couple times and rinse again in hot water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Jrkimbrough

Thanks guys!  The big bone was the main one I was concerned with. Appreciate the responses!

roberthyman14

Quote from: chadly on June 24, 2020, 09:37:59 AM
Not sure if this helps but I watched this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWmd8CT7oD0
Easiest video to follow and turns out great.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

wchadw

On a side note, if anyone has a clean hen wing radius let me know and I'll buy it