turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

NWTF layoffs

Started by tracker vi, June 23, 2020, 10:33:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tracker vi

Anyone else hear of massive layoffs in Edgefield ?

Goodtimekiller

Yes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VaTuRkStOmPeR

There are a lot of good individuals who just lost their jobs but the organization has lost its way.

The wild turkey needs an organization interested in advocating on its behalf.  One that isn't scared to publicize poor decisions made by state game agencies regarding bag limits, season lengths, etc and one that isn't scared to be an outspoken critic of the states implementing these policies.

I won't shed a tear if the NWTF dissolves.  It would be an ideal scenario for a new turkey organization to emerge.

Goodtimekiller

Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on June 23, 2020, 10:56:39 PM
There are a lot of good individuals who just lost their jobs but the organization has lost its way.

The wild turkey needs an organization interested in advocating on its behalf.  One that isn't scared to publicize poor decisions made by state game agencies regarding bag limits, season lengths, etc and one that isn't scared to be an outspoken critic of the states implementing these policies.

I won't shed a tear if the NWTF dissolves.  It would be an ideal scenario for a new turkey organization to emerge.
Because the nwtf has not spent any money on increasing wild turkey populations, increasing hunting numbers, acquiring land for hunting, etc etc etc. maybe you should be the one to start a new organization.

Gooserbat

Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on June 23, 2020, 10:56:39 PM

No doubt.  It's being run buy former Ducks Unlimited people and there focus on habitat improvement and politics are not what NWTF was founded upon.   
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

tracker#1

I joined the local chapter here in WNY in 1983. It was the first organized club I joined. A member of many others since. The members welcomed me with open arms and took me under their wings and taught me calling and turkey hunting. At the time, the WNY (Niagara) chapter's membership was larger than the state chapter. Now, they hardly have any members. Great bunch of guys, made lifetime friends. Then started the national money-driven promotion of many more chapters and the demise. Yes, some good but some bad also. In the late 1950s through trap and transfer program, WNY area turkeys were sent to propagate the east coast states. Now, WNY area turkey populations have plummeted from 40,000 1998 harvest to recent 17,000 harvest and complaints from local hunters falling on NWTF and local game official's "deaf" ears... They used to blame wet springs and nesting, now it's hunting "pressure" in WNY. Then if that's the "problem" they should set limits to 1 bird instead of 2 and reduce tags sold in those areas. IMO

GobbleNut

Quote from: Goodtimekiller on June 23, 2020, 11:14:30 PM
Because the nwtf has not spent any money on increasing wild turkey populations, increasing hunting numbers, acquiring land for hunting, etc etc etc. maybe you should be the one to start a new organization.

This is all true.  NWTF has done a lot of good for wild turkeys over the decades.  As one who joined the organization in 1975, I was very much involved in all that "good" that was done for four decades.  Unfortunately, I was also a "first hand" witness to the transition from the focus on helping wild turkeys to the focus over the last couple of decades of using the NWTF volunteers/members money mostly to raise more money,...money that, rather than going to projects and programs to help wild turkeys, was being used to expand the corporate "empire", and with way too much of that money going into the pockets of the upper-level leadership and their cronies. 

Here is the reality in this region.  Almost every long-time member of NWTF that I know has quit NWTF,...and every one has quit for the same reason.  That is, NWTF went from an organization that was all about helping wild turkeys to one that is all about raising more money.  When that first began to happen, our membership said,..."Hey, wait a minute.  We want to spend OUR funds and OUR time on helping wild turkeys here." 

The NWTF "leadership" basically said,..."If you don't want to focus on raising money for us, we don't really want you.  We don't really care about what you are doing for turkeys in your state, we just want your dollars".  (I know, that sounds unfathomable, but that is EXACTLY what happened here)

When that happened, almost all of the long-time members said "See Ya'".  The result is that, over the last ten years or so, our state NWTF is a mere shadow of what it once was.  An organization that was raising funds that resulted in probably $75,000 to $100,000 worth of projects for wild turkeys every year now annually spends less than $10,000. 

Sad,...but true.... 

Goodtimekiller

Quote from: GobbleNut on June 24, 2020, 09:11:13 AM

This is all true.  NWTF has done a lot of good for wild turkeys over the decades.  As one who joined the organization in 1975, I was very much involved in all that "good" that was done for four decades.  Unfortunately, I was also a "first hand" witness to the transition from the focus on helping wild turkeys to the focus over the last couple of decades of using the NWTF volunteers/members money mostly to raise more money,...money that, rather than going to projects and programs to help wild turkeys, was being used to expand the corporate "empire", and with way too much of that money going into the pockets of the upper-level leadership and their cronies. 

Here is the reality in this region.  Almost every long-time member of NWTF that I know has quit NWTF,...and every one has quit for the same reason.  That is, NWTF went from an organization that was all about helping wild turkeys to one that is all about raising more money.  When that first began to happen, our membership said,..."Hey, wait a minute.  We want to spend OUR funds and OUR time on helping wild turkeys here." 

The NWTF "leadership" basically said,..."If you don't want to focus on raising money for us, we don't really want you.  We don't really care about what you are doing for turkeys in your state, we just want your dollars".  (I know, that sounds unfathomable, but that is EXACTLY what happened here)

When that happened, almost all of the long-time members said "See Ya'".  The result is that, over the last ten years or so, our state NWTF is a mere shadow of what it once was.  An organization that was raising funds that resulted in probably $75,000 to $100,000 worth of projects for wild turkeys every year now annually spends less than $10,000. 

Sad,...but true....
I have been a committee member for over 10 years. I do not agree with any of your statements, but go ahead and start your own organization so we will have someone who is helping the turkeys.

GobbleNut

I would suggest amicably that your short-term membership is exactly the reason that you have the attitude you do.  You have accepted the status quo of the organization as it functions today rather than what it was decades ago.  If you are happy with the organization as it is now, that is all that matters, but in terms of actually "helping" to insure healthy wild turkey populations, the NWTF is not what it used to be. 

In addition, I will qualify that my position on NWTF is based on my own experience with the organization.  Perhaps there are areas of the country (and chapters) that are focusing on projects and programs to actually benefit turkey populations and numbers,...and perhaps yours is one of them.  However, in terms of putting more turkeys "on the ground" in places, and insuring they stay there in good numbers, the NWTF of today is nothing near what it was in the past.

Again, if you are happy with what NWTF does with your volunteer time and money, great.  However, if you wondering why so many of us past members have "flown the coop", look no further than the comments made above and in the many past threads on OG about the same topic.

guesswho

I've not commented on one of these threads in awhile.   And since we don't have a middle finger emoji and an N"WTF" emoji I'll keep my 2 cents out of it.  Most over the years have figured out how I feel.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Hooksfan

Gobblenut,
Your experience has nearly perfectly mirrored mine. I was very involved as a committee member in one of the top Chapters in my state back in the 80's and early 90's.
I havent attended a banquet in over 10 years and my only involvement in the last 20 has been doing calling demonstrations at JAKES events.
Still alot of good folks at the local levels, but she ain't what she used to be, and in this case, that's not a good thing, in my opinion.

Hooksfan

Quote from: Hooksfan on June 24, 2020, 10:25:10 AM
Gobblenut,
Your experience has nearly perfectly mirrored mine. I was very involved as a committee member in one of the top Chapters in my state back in the 80's and early 90's.
I havent attended a banquet in over 10 years and my only involvement in the last 20 has been doing calling demonstrations at JAKES events.
Still alot of good folks at the local levels, but she ain't what she used to be, and in this case, that's not a good thing, in my opinion.
Yep

Hooksfan

Quote from: guesswho on June 24, 2020, 10:19:31 AM
I've not commented on one of these threads in awhile.   And since we don't have a middle finger emoji and an N"WTF" emoji I'll keep my 2 cents out of it.  Most over the years have figured out how I feel.
Yep....

Turkeyman

I concur with those who now look negatively upon the NWTF. I joined in 1977, becoming a local chapter president for a few years. The NWTF good old days...but now see what it has evolved into. I'm done.

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: GobbleNut on June 24, 2020, 09:11:13 AM

Sad,...but true....

I'm young and didn't come to turkey hunting until later. My mentor and hunting buddy started the chapter that used to exist where I live in the 1980s. Like many its long since dissolved. He was instrumental in bringing the turkeys back and reestablishing the populations in western North Carolina. Anyhow, he despises NWTF, and I never fully understood why except for what he told me. And what he told me mirrors what you're saying to a T. To the point that I copied and pasted what you said and sent it to him and he wrote back, "Yes, that's exactly it." What an absolute shame.