OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

410 hundred years old and tss

Started by Nate, June 21, 2020, 08:36:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nate

I have my grandpa's 410 it close to 100years old can I use the tss shells without hurting it I've killed a few Turkey's with it with 3" six shot at 20 to 25 yards.

3bailey3

would love to see a pic of the gun.

fallhnt

No

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Nate

Bailey
Closer look I'm the 5th owner of this gun it started w/ my grandpa's brother and stayed in the family it's around 80 years old iver johnson in perfect condition I'll try to get a picture  I'm not sure I can post one.

crow

yelpy

If you do decide to shoot tss out of it I'd be sure mylar is used in the load. Mylar helps protect the bore from getting damaged from the dense shot. I use mylar in all my tss handloads and havent seen any bore damage. I do get some wear in the choke though. I'd say if your not shooting it every day just using it to hunt turkey you should be ok just try to stick with a load that has mylar in it to help minimize any possible damage that tss might cause to the bore.

guesswho

I wouldn't chance it and would keep shooting them at 25.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Nate

Thanks to all I think my best advice was to keep killing them at 25 yards. The ole rascal may do it another 80 years.I knows she's killed a ton of cottontails and bushytails. Thanks again

Nate

My 80 year old Iver Johnson  410

Nate

guesswho

If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

chatterbox

Quote from: Nate on June 23, 2020, 08:29:12 PM
My 80 year old Iver Johnson  410
Gorgeous gun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom007

Great gun, good choice not taking chances with the TSS. You can't replace the memories and nostalgia of that great gun....
"Solo hunter"

Franklin7x57

I have a question for the guys that say no. If you shoot 2-3 shells of TSS a year at turkey how long would a gun last, will it be unsafe to shoot at a certain point, or the pattern be so bad that you couldn't even use it to small game hunt?
Not trying to start a war, I've never shot TSS, I use a 12ga. so lead works well enough for me.

wchadw

I checked on this awhile back. I had similar "it's ok" and "don't do it". I joined a gunsmith group and was told it would eventually bulge barrel on a full. I decided it just wasn't worth it

They did say if it was a modified it might be ok. I thought about doing a TSS/lead blend with a lot of buffer but decided that my old 20 shot good enough to 35 with lead 7s not to take a chance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk