turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Most common overlooked mistakes

Started by idgobble, June 21, 2020, 05:30:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idgobble

Most common overlooked mistakes in turkey hunting. I'm sure there are plenty of real common ones. Not enough patience, calling too loud, etc.  One that's often overlooked is sitting so that the black soles of boots are exposed. Real easy to see, especially if they move slightly. Other ideas on overlooked?

ol bob

Starting to hunt the crazy birds is high on the list.

Greg Massey

Need more than one plan of action. I tell people you need plan A, B, and C plan in killing these birds. You also need birds to hunt..

guesswho

A lot of hunters are afraid of the turkeys.   Not physically, but mentally.   Afraid to move, call, walk away etc.   They tilt the odds in the turkeys favor as soon as they step out of the truck by thinking they're probably not going to kill one today. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

3bailey3

AppalachianHollers

Quote from: guesswho on June 21, 2020, 06:59:14 PM
A lot of hunters are afraid of the turkeys.   Not physically, but mentally.   Afraid to move, call, walk away etc.   They tilt the odds in the turkeys favor as soon as they step out of the truck by thinking they're probably not going to kill one today.
I definitely did this this last year. Would rather err on the side of seeing a turkey that I spooked than call where there are no birds to hunt.

I hunted timidly for 11 hours one day. They're not whitetail deer, where there's one every quarter mile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wvmntnhick

Wasn't a problem on my last hunt of the season. Stepped out of the truck before daylight and he was gobbling hard to the left of the truck about 60 yards. Spoke to my buddy who said he'd gobbled 21 times before I got there. Walked to the front bumper of his Tahoe and set up using it as a blind so-to-speak. 3 yelps later he was flopping on the ground.

wvmntnhick

As for mistakes, Ronnie's pretty much spot on. People shoot themselves in the foot soon as they enter the woods. Personally, I don't get dressed up to play games anymore. If I'm going out feeling like the odds aren't in my favor, I'd just as soon stay home. If I'm out there, I'm there with a purpose. That purpose is to put a bird in the freezer.

Spitten and drummen

One that is easily over looked is your set up. When setting up I try to put the sun to my back and I pick a place where I will be tucked away in the shadows. A lot of guys plop down and they are out in the open with the sun shinning on them. You stick out like a sore thumb. I love to use shade and dark places whenever possible. I even figure where the sun will be in the next hour and where the shade will be casted at that time. In my opinion it is harder for the bird to outline you and pick up any slight movements.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

bbcoach

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on June 21, 2020, 08:15:59 PM
One that is easily over looked is your set up. When setting up I try to put the sun to my back and I pick a place where I will be tucked away in the shadows. A lot of guys plop down and they are out in the open with the sun shinning on them. You stick out like a sore thumb. I love to use shade and dark places whenever possible. I even figure where the sun will be in the next hour and where the shade will be casted at that time. In my opinion it is harder for the bird to outline you and pick up any slight movements.
Amen X2!  Also check your body, clothing, gun, sling, everything for things that may put off a glare or reflection that will give you away as well.

turkey_picker

WV Flopper

I have a small area I have permission to hunt on. It's about 270 acres, real skinny, about a mile long. It has a housing development on one side. Across the highway on the other side is a highway. I have hunted it for maybe 10 years now. It has taught me a very valuable lesson. "Don't blow through all the woods you have to just get to the end". This property has taught a run and gunner patience. Have have called up a pile of turkeys in this little patch of woods. I hunt it very slow and quiet.

If you see turkey sign and know they are there, take your time.

Gooserbat

This, coupled with poor woodsmanship.  Another thing is I guide a lot of people who will wave their gun barely two foot above their head while they try to keep everything else low.  Never figured that out.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

WV Ridge Reaper

Quote from: WV Flopper on June 21, 2020, 08:58:11 PM
I have a small area I have permission to hunt on. It's about 270 acres, real skinny, about a mile long. It has a housing development on one side. Across the highway on the other side is a highway. I have hunted it for maybe 10 years now. It has taught me a very valuable lesson. "Don't blow through all the woods you have to just get to the end". This property has taught a run and gunner patience. Have have called up a pile of turkeys in this little patch of woods. I hunt it very slow and quiet.

If you see turkey sign and know they are there, take your time.
This if you don't have back up places a-z just slow down..Firm believer in moving but moving slow.

Turkeytider

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on June 21, 2020, 08:15:59 PM

X2. If at all possible get the sun behind you. It will go a long way to putting you in the shadows .