OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Higher TSS Loads Safe?

Started by FL-Boss, May 01, 2024, 09:20:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FL-Boss

Do any of you guys have safety concerns when shooting heaver than normal TSS loads? Example: I see most 20GA TSS loads are loaded around 1.5OZ - 1.5/8 (apex)
But in the past few years I'm seeing more 20GA 3in loaded all the way up to 2oz. I'm not a technical ammo guy, but are these 2oz loads and the pressure safe to shoot?  I would think they are ok in a break action single, or double barrel gun. But have concerns about something breaking in my gas semi-auto... thoughts?

davisd9

Each to their own but those loads seem to negate going from a 12 to a 20 gauge. A 1-5/8 oz load will give anyone more than they need in my opinion. I wish more 1-1/2 oz loads were offered. One has to think these heavy loads are putting more stress on firearms when being fired, especially in gauges that do not see those payloads. Best case, the gun wears out faster than one normally would from the stress. Like I said, each to their own.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Ihuntoldschool

Yes. Most 20 Gauges are designed to handle 1 1/4 ounce loads without a problem.  Many of the manuals state this. 
Obviously the more you go over that and the more you shoot the more stress to critical parts and danger.

Been a few reports here locking block breaking with the heavy loads

BandedSpur

Super heavy loads CAN be loaded safely from a pressure standpoint with the right powder and components, but they are very hard on the gun, especially SAs. They also produce tremendous recoil. A 2 oz load at 1100 fps in a 7 pound gun has over 55 ft-lbs of recoil, whereas a 1&5/8 oz load is 39 ft-lbs. The lighter load will usually pattern more efficiently as well.

FL-Boss

Thanks, great info. Yes, Turkish SA guns (Moss, Tristar, Weatherby, etc) specifically is what I'm talking about. They aren't the most robust, best build guns to begin with....

SumToy

I dont know about the pressure in them. I have idea but I dont load or test them like the companies do.  What worries me is say 2oz in a 12 in 660 to 675 choke.    Now you put that same 2oz load in a 20 folks go 555 to 580 choke.  The bore from .721 to .740 in a 12  to .618 to .630 in the 20. 

Now with smaller choke you get more recoil then the bigger got me to looking around.  I have a someone that test shells.  I am going to play a little because I have never had anyone post the PSI with chokes.  I know from what I can find out it is tested with open choke. So you go from cylinder bore to 20% then 50% then some go to 70% how much it changes stuff.

Now I have to say I have seen more stuck chokes some the choke is missing.  Barrels with swelled spots.  Now problem is was it shell, gun or bubby hold my beer. 

Big thing is shoot what you feel is safe and be careful. 

Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA