OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Hevi-7's perform better than Nitro's for me.

Started by drenalinld, May 16, 2011, 11:53:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stinkpickle

Quote from: beagler on May 17, 2011, 09:08:15 PM
Quote from: drenalinld on May 17, 2011, 11:03:00 AM
Funny thing is, I just picked up a barely used 835 turkey gun for $200 bucks. That's way less than I've spent on ammo trying to get best performance out of SBEII and so far the hevi-7's are tops.
Funny thing is my 835 still outshoots my SBE 2 any day. Tried numerous chokes and loads as well.

A good 835 (or 935) will do that to most shotguns.  A lot of shells love that oversized bore...even rough from the factory.

jperrotti

Here's my 2 7/16 oz Nitro straight 7's 296 in 10"

2 1/4 oz Nitro 7's 362 in 10"

I've never cleaned the barrel of this gun. Didn't see much need. I'm sure a little polishing would help those numbers.

Remington 870 .660 JH 23" barrel
Remington 870 SPS-T Super Mag .660 JH Nitro 2-1/4 oz. Straight 7's Burris FastFire II

Turkasaurus

What a difference that 2 1/4oz load makes!  I tried the 2 7/16 in the tri-plex load and never got what I was after. Gonna give the 2 1/4oz 7's a try next   :z-guntootsmiley: 

BTW, they say to be cautious about polishing the chrome lined Benelli barrels, is there anything to that?
Fueled by Nitro Ammo Co.

J-Shaped

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on May 17, 2011, 09:49:30 AM
That's been my point all along.  Why shoot Nitros for double the price of the Hevi-13 loads when the latter will beat it?  

Tell that to the folks that bought the 2011 lot numbers of these loads. I've been shooting Nitro's for the last 9 seasons and decided I'd give the Hevi 7's a try this year since my Nitro stock was running low. I got the "new" lot number and they weren't even in the same ball park as my Nitro's. In fact, they were effectively half the pellet count of the Nitro's. In my case, double the price did equate to double the performance.

After I used my remaining Nitro's, I switched over to the Hevi-13 7's and killed 3 more birds with them, and they worked fine. That's not my point, though. I'm not saying they were ineffective loads, but rather it's kind of a broad statement to make given the inconsistencies I've seen posted on these boards with those shells. They'll work all day long, but consitent pattern peformance in my own experience was apples to oranges.

Britton40

Quote from: jperrotti on May 19, 2011, 09:37:43 AM
Here's my 2 7/16 oz Nitro straight 7's 296 in 10"

2 1/4 oz Nitro 7's 362 in 10"

I've never cleaned the barrel of this gun. Didn't see much need. I'm sure a little polishing would help those numbers.

Remington 870 .660 JH 23" barrel

I kinda like the 2 7/16 oz.  That pattern is WIDE!

Gobble!

Quote from: J-Shaped on May 19, 2011, 01:52:05 PM
Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on May 17, 2011, 09:49:30 AM
That's been my point all along.  Why shoot Nitros for double the price of the Hevi-13 loads when the latter will beat it? 

Tell that to the folks that bought the 2011 lot numbers of these loads. I've been shooting Nitro's for the last 9 seasons and decided I'd give the Hevi 7's a try this year since my Nitro stock was running low. I got the "new" lot number and they weren't even in the same ball park as my Nitro's. In fact, they were effectively half the pellet count of the Nitro's. In my case, double the price did equate to double the performance.

After I used my remaining Nitro's, I switched over to the Hevi-13 7's and killed 3 more birds with them, and they worked fine. That's not my point, though. I'm not saying they were ineffective loads, but rather it's kind of a broad statement to make given the inconsistencies I've seen posted on these boards with those shells. They'll work all day long, but consitent pattern peformance in my own experience was apples to oranges.

Amen I have about 15 H13 shells left. 8 from last year 7 from this year when they are gone Im going to Nitros