turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Kwila/Butternut SS field grade draws 1st blood

Started by btomlin, April 28, 2020, 10:22:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

btomlin

I got a kwila/butternut field grade call last June from Al & Josh and it has been a long wait.  I finally found a bird that wanted to play this morning.  I was getting nervous as today is the last day of Iowa's 3rd gun season.

Had 2 birds being knuckleheads after flydown.  They did a lot of gobbling but were taking their sweet time on deciding to commit.  Way off in the distance, this bird would also gobble as I was calling to the knuckleheads.  He was steadily closing the distance but had a long way to go.   Finally, I started with some light seductive stuff to let the knuckleheads know I wasn't interested in them and they were definitely still interested in me.  Finally, they started closing the distance.   Now, I have a new problem.  2 birds coming from my back pocket and the long gobbler coming from out off my shoulder.   Hit the S&S with a few more clucks and the race was on....

The winner by photo finish....the long gobbler.  Pretty crazy how fast and far they will come sometimes.  Thankful that the Lord made 2yr old gobblers. 

Sir-diealot

Congratulations, nice looking call and gobbler. Nice story too.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Greg Massey

Nice job and nice gobbler .. those S S boxes are some of the best..

Beards and Hooks

shatcher

3bailey3

SS Calls

Congrats Brandon! Way to break that box in.  :turkey2:

letinmfly

Captain of the former Gobble Kings

JeffC

Congrats,  hopefully the knuckleheads will play next year.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

model94

I have that exact same call. It is my favorite box call.

afhunter1

When I got my first kwilla/butternut the first thing I did was order a spare.  It's always in my vest.