OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Hals load comparison

Started by turkeyhunter91, December 12, 2020, 06:22:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turkeyhunter91

i purchased some tss #9s from Hal from last spring. i was originally gonna load the 3 in 20ga xl load that i see a lot of people use but the wads have been really hard to find, i was thinking of trying the xlc or big 20 nc. i was just wondering if anyone has compared them to the big 20 xl? i know every gun is different but i was just wondering if anyone had compared them. thanks

WV Ridge Reaper

I have seen some good patterns from the NC load..I can't answer your question tho..Good luck on finding that answer to...Your talking about chokes,guns,and different loads,that's a lot of shootin !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wchadw

My opinion is the 2oz is overkill. I started with 1 7/8 and have stepped down to the 1 3/4 stubby xxlg which is 2 3/4 hull

wchadw

This is 2 3/4 hull 1 7/8oz xxxl
At 40

turkeyhunter91

all of the loads i mentioned was 1 5/8 loads he had sent me. thanks

wchadw

Quote from: turkeyhunter91 on December 12, 2020, 07:46:57 PM
all of the loads i mentioned was 1 5/8 loads he had sent me. thanks
Might check on. 2 3/4" shells and wads. If you can find them most of the loads are similar payload except the 2oz

turkeyhunter91

i may have to do that, thank you

Spurs Up

If you have the components for the Big 20 NC, then you have them for the Big 20 Stubby NC. Just trim hulls to 2-3/4".  Great load, faster and no cycling issues.

davisd9

I use the Big20xl and have always had great results. I tried the 2-3/4" 1-7/16 oz load and it shot great, but I have a lifetime supply of wads and hulls for the other so I am sticking with it. Good luck with your results!
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

kwild835

OP, I would say find whatever you can to load and go with it.  I would not worry about trying a bunch of different loads and save some money.  Any of Hal's load's choked properly will kill turkeys waaaay farther than anyone should be shooting at them. 

turkeyhunter91

thanks everyone, i will prob try the nc or xlc, i am using a franchi with a 575 carlson. i have everything else i needed on order, im looking forward to loading some tss and trying to kill a turkey with a shell i loaded this spring. i killed my buck this fall with a rifle shell i loaded and my stepson killed a doe with 1 i loaded, it was a cool feeling.

Roost 1

The wads used in the big 20xl should be much more readily available than the others, unless something has changed.
If you have all the other components for the bog20xl and wads are all you need send me a pm.