OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Mapping phone apps

Started by Marc, June 04, 2020, 02:24:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hobbes

Quote from: West Augusta on June 04, 2020, 03:38:03 PM
Quote from: Turkeyman on June 04, 2020, 03:25:08 PM
I use Gaia...the paid version, and really like it. What you need to do is try each app's freebie version, see what additional features are in their paid versions then make your decision. The reason I went with Gaia is because, in addition to hunting, I also do quite a bit of hiking and they have many built-in trails and such.

I have a Garmin GPS and see myself never using it again. I've already transferred all my waypoints to Gaia.

The only down side to using your phone over a true GPS is battery life.  My phone is older and the battery doesn't last as long as it once did.

Get a new phone :)

Hobbes

I've been using OnX for several years now.  I don't use it necessarily to find my way around but to stay within property boundaries.  I hunt a lot of block management that is cross fenced as well as public land that is cross fenced for range control.  A fence doesn't always mean a property boundary.  on X has kept me on land that I can hunt and made me aware of available land that I wouldn't have known that I could hunt.  OnX is $30 dollars for one state and $99 for all states.

I tried  Basemap for the first time this turkey season because it's $30 for the entire US and still has hunting layers. I have MT for OnX and decided to try Basemap for South Dakota instead of $99 for all states in OnX.  Basemap is good as well, but maps have been more difficult to save and it doesn't run as smooth as OnX.  It takes longer to load and seems a little glitchy.  Also, I don't like the"gear drop" feature that tries to get me involved in opportunities to win prizes.  It feels too much like advertising.  It did keep me within the public land boundaries in the Black Hills.  I think most of my problems with it is I'm still learning to use it.

I'll probably keep my subscription for MT through OnX and try to use Basemap alongside it this fall but OnX seemed more reliable during the one weekend that I used both.

Turkeyman

Also re: battery life your phone looking for a cell tower uses a lot of battery. I hunted four areas this spring which, I knew, would have no or marginal cell service. Prior to hunting, I downloaded those large areas. Then, while hunting I had my phone in Airplane...battery no problem.

I was undecided between Gaia and OnX but the game changer was price. I got Gaia for $30/yr. OnX same price but for one state...additional states cost more. I hunted two states this spring and, after this Covid year, hope to hunt perhaps three or more each spring.

silvestris

"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

West Augusta

Quote from: Hobbes on June 05, 2020, 12:27:18 AM
I use Gaia...the paid version, and really like it. What you need to do is try each app's freebie version, see what additional features are in their paid versions then make your decision. The reason I went with Gaia is because, in addition to hunting, I also do quite a bit of hiking and they have many built-in trails and such.

I have a Garmin GPS and see myself never using it again. I've already transferred all my waypoints to Gaia.

The only down side to using your phone over a true GPS is battery life.  My phone is older and the battery doesn't last as long as it once did.

I need to.  I had a company phone before I was furloughed.  It was an Iphone.  Hated it but had great battery life.
My phone is an old Samsung S7.   Needs upgraded. 
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

rgref522

Super easy to use,  I have tried tons,  much prefer Onyx. You would be surprised how many types of public land are out thete but don't show up on apps. Onyx has shown the most.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Hobbes

Quote from: West Augusta on June 07, 2020, 02:51:45 PM
Quote from: Hobbes on June 05, 2020, 12:27:18 AM

I need to.  I had a company phone before I was furloughed.  It was an Iphone.  Hated it but had great battery life.
My phone is an old Samsung S7.   Needs upgraded.

I have an ancient iPhone at work and I hate it.  The battery life sucks also.

I've got a Moto Z3 that's going on 2 yrs old (maybe it's just 1) that has fallen off some in battery life.  I usually run the phone in airplane mode and use downloaded maps to help with battery.

I've been down the furlough road before. It sucked.  I hope you get back to work soon.

MS TurkeyHunter

Gaia all the way for reasons already mentioned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turkeyman

Quote from: silvestris on June 05, 2020, 11:10:37 PM
https://www.outdoorlife.com/tested-best-hunting-apps-for-hunters/

HuntStand shows promise.

Only problem with this comparison is they only rated apps which call themselves HUNTING apps. I use Gaia (primarily meant to be a hiking app) and it does absolutely everything I want. Private land, WMA, WMU, state lands, many trails, many loadable overlay maps whereas you adjust the opacity et al.

silvestris

None of the apps are perfect, but they are getting better.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

deerhunt1988

GAIA just added cell phone coverage maps. One thing I like about em, constantly adding new layers.

Spurs

Quote from: deerhunt1988 on June 12, 2020, 06:01:06 PM
GAIA just added cell phone coverage maps. One thing I like about em, constantly adding new layers.
Just saw that myself...GAIA is always updating with some pretty cool stuff.
This year is going to suck!!!