OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Benelli Ultra Lights for turkeys? Want advice.

Started by idgobble, May 16, 2020, 05:17:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idgobble

I have 2 Benelli Ultra Lights, a 12 ga. and a 20 ga. I use for upland hunting. I'm selling my turkey gun because it's about 8.7 lbs. loaded and at 72 yrs. I'm tired of carrying it up these Idaho mountains and thinking about using one of the Ultra Lights. I'll probably try the factory full choke with TSS first (don't know, yet, if that's advisable. That's for a later topic. First decision is the gun.). Each gun has a 24" barrel. The 12 weighs 6lbs., the 20 weighs 5.2 lbs.. One of the benefits of this website is all the readily available free advice.  ;) What do you guys think? 

Tom007

That 20 would be my choice. That would be a killer turkey gun. The 20 gauge loads now a days are great. Good luck.....
"Solo hunter"

howl

Be a good one. However many tend to use cheaper guns due to the possibility and bore damage from TSS. Also, you may want a red dot sight which leads to modifying the gun for mounting.

I looked at a BUL but the cost of replacement and carbon rib put me off. A Franchi 20 or 28 would be a good version for TSS. It is common to upgrade the recoil spring for reliability when turkey hunting.

BandedSpur

A red dot sight with TSS is a must for me; very easy to miss without one. If those BULs have carbon ribs, sounds like you cannot drill that for a rib mount, which leaves drilling and tapping the receiver or using a cantilever rib mount. B-Square makes a good one.

I would have no concerns about shooting TSS through an expensive shotgun. I have shot hundreds of rounds of it through my Berettas with nary a scratch. Might as well carry the 20; with TSS it will kill further than any of us have any business shooting turkeys.

Living Water

Full choke and TSS and be done.  If the gun doesn't shoot POA put some rifle sights on it for $30.
"You have to pay for every bird you kill and the coin you use to pay for them is time." Tom Kelly

VaTuRkStOmPeR

Totally doable.

If the 20 GA ultralight is too pretty for your taste you could get the M2 compact at 5.25lbs.  They are a pleasure to carry and perform exceptionally well with TSS.