OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Jellyhead .690 and hevi 13 3-2-6

Started by chatterbox, May 16, 2011, 06:22:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chatterbox

Hey guys, I have a question for all of you.
I recently went to Cabelas and was looking for a PG .670 for my newly aquired Mossy 835. They didn't have any, but the JH's were on sale, so for grins and giggles, I picked one up along with a box of Winchester XX magnum 3-2-6's.
Now, I got 139 in a 10" circle at 30 with this combo. What do you all think the numbers could be at 40 with 3-2-6 hevi and this choke? Is it too open for good 40 yard shots? Should I get a PG and test side by side?
Just some questions for the die hard choke testers .

Gobble!

Sounds extremely low....Why didn't you try the 3.5" shells?
I have a friend who use a 935 .690JH and the 3.5" #6s got over 240 at 40 yards

sugarray

Mike,

I'm not sure what you are looking for in your patterns.  I like over 200 in a 10 at 40.  This gives a good 50 yd pattern, should any way.  My TSS is 296 and 284.  I just purchased a PG .670 from here and will try the 3.5" 2 1/4 oz #6 Hevi to see how it goes in the 835.   Just a back up for my current .710 IC and TSS #8. 

So, I think you should go tighter.  I would go with a SumToy .672 or .675, which ever he is making, if you are going to by a new choke.  Otherwise, if you want to shoot Hevi, shoot the PG.  I know Shawn, VAHUNTER, has an awesome 2 1/4 oz #6 pattern.

Raymond

chatterbox

Quote from: sugarray on May 16, 2011, 06:46:32 PM
Mike,

I'm not sure what you are looking for in your patterns.  I like over 200 in a 10 at 40.  This gives a good 50 yd pattern, should any way.  My TSS is 296 and 284.  I just purchased a PG .670 from here and will try the 3.5" 2 1/4 oz #6 Hevi to see how it goes in the 835.   Just a back up for my current .710 IC and TSS #8. 

So, I think you should go tighter.  I would go with a SumToy .672 or .675, which ever he is making, if you are going to by a new choke.  Otherwise, if you want to shoot Hevi, shoot the PG.  I know Shawn, VAHUNTER, has an awesome 2 1/4 oz #6 pattern.

Raymond
Thanks Ray. These are my thoughts also. I figure I'm gonna go with some post season testing with the PG and the 3.5 #6's. I can't shoot 7's, but I figure I can do ok with the 6's. Now I also have a 20" barrel like you have as well.

SumToy

chatterbox

I think you need to go smaller.  Now I see alot of good numbers from chokes such as IC, PG ,Star Dot, and ours.  I know folks get good numbers with the Rhino with nitros.   You need to drop it to 670 to 675 and with the 3 inch I think you could go smaller.
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA