OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Literature or vids on Ben Lee?

Started by Mossberg90MN, May 22, 2020, 11:30:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

silvestris

Quote from: Bowguy on May 23, 2020, 09:57:46 PM
Every time I hear his name I think of the time I watched a seminar of his. Throughout he talked openly and repeatedly of poaching and breaking the law. Was an embarrassment. Idk why no one talks about this but you wanted to know about Ben Lee. That was him

Somewhere I have a cassette recorded secretively on which, under the influence of alcohol, he speaks candidly of the activities of which you write.  Listening to the tape, I believed what he said.  However, he was one the great ones and let ones without sin cast the first stone.  And he could call, man, he could call.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Bowguy

Quote from: Mossberg90MN on May 23, 2020, 11:02:22 PM
Every time I hear his name I think of the time I watched a seminar of his. Throughout he talked openly and repeatedly of poaching and breaking the law. Was an embarrassment. Idk why no one talks about this but you wanted to know about Ben Lee. That was him
Ah man, no way! Really??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes. I'm sorry cause I don't wanna kill any accomplishments but at the same time imagine a guy was a great teacher but a pedifile per se (To be clear I'm not referring to him that way) Should the great teaching make a man be looked up to?
Ben Lee perhaps had some good things he could be known for but in the same token he should not be an ambassador of our sport. He did it to himself and even bragged on it. To me that's all he'll ever be. A poacher and one of the type makes us all look bad.  It's his words that painted himself that way and it amazes me no one else seems bothered by it.

Bowguy

Quote from: silvestris on May 24, 2020, 03:58:01 AM

Somewhere I have a cassette recorded secretively on which, under the influence of alcohol, he speaks candidly of the activities of which you write.  Listening to the tape, I believed what he said.  However, he was one the great ones and let ones without sin cast the first stone.  And he could call, man, he could call.

I'm not without sin nor casting a stone. I'm just stating facts. We need role models in life and this ain't one. That's with no judgement. Bible says don't judge or you will be judged. It says to forgive or you won't be forgiven. Does it say to look up to thieves?? It doesn't. You all can do as you wish I'm just stating what I personally witnessed

mikejd

What kind of law breaking are we talking about.

crow

Quote from: Bowguy on May 24, 2020, 05:30:20 AM
Ah man, no way! Really??

Yes. I'm sorry cause I don't wanna kill any accomplishments but at the same time imagine a guy was a great teacher but a pedifile per se (To be clear I'm not referring to him that way) Should the great teaching make a man be looked up to?
Ben Lee perhaps had some good things he could be known for but in the same token he should not be an ambassador of our sport. He did it to himself and even bragged on it. To me that's all he'll ever be. A poacher and one of the type makes us all look bad.  It's his words that painted himself that way and it amazes me no one else seems bothered by it.

Why use the teacher/pedafile remark as an example and then turn around and say your not referring to him that way. Thats a poor example to use and uncalled  for.

Tom Kelly in Tenth legion mentions up country hunters that on matters of killing game (and taking timber) for personal use are on a different wave length than the rest of us, but he respected them was proud to call some of them friends.

Charles Elliot in his book enjoyed hunting with Ben Lee and speaks highly of him.

I've read Ben Lee's book several times and watched his hunting videos and don't recall any mention of poaching or tresspasss in them.

and for the record I'm not in favor of poaching, and Tom Kelly went on to say how it benefited the turkey population when a lot of rural folks moved to the cities in the 30's and 40's for work.

Spitten and drummen

The thing is , a man can do alot of great things in his life but if he does something really bad , he is remembered for that.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

joey46

Quote from: mikejd on May 24, 2020, 06:46:13 AM

Legal shooting times was one I remember.  Didn't think deer or turkey carried watches.

bear hunter

I remember when I was young a store near my home rented Vhs movies. They had 3 hunting movies and one was ben lees hunting the rut my friends and I watched it many times.

GobbleNut

Ben Rodgers Lee was a pioneer of turkey hunting back at a time when there were few others around.  For those of us around back then,...and cutting our teeth in learning to turkey hunt,...we took what he said as "gospel" in turkey hunting.  ...Wasn't until years after his untimely death in that car accident that I/we figured out that it was best to take a lot of what he had preached with a grain of salt.  :)

Jstocks

Glorifying any man, especially one you don't personally know, will leave you disappointed every time the whole truth is displayed. We are all human and every one of us has our lesser know failures that we don't want shared.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to take from the gifts that a man was given, and use his knowledge to further your own.

God is the only deserving figure of glorification and the only instance where at some point you won't be disappointed. His motives aren't driven by greed, selfishness, nor pride. These things are pronounced characteristics of old time and new age turkey hunters.

Bowguy

Quote from: mikejd on May 24, 2020, 06:46:13 AM

Shooting animals out of windows, trespassing, too many, etc etc. Even found it real comical how he had to hide in a ditch when the cops were looking for him

Mossberg90MN

Well, I can understand some of the whole, different time sort of stuff. After all it sounds like it was guys like him that were learning how to play the game. Back before some of these sportsmen rules were being set.

Yea I just stumbled on some articles about him and I thought, man I totally got to read about this guy.

Well, I'm gonna keep my eye out for that book of his. Hopefully I can find it for a decent price some time.

LaLongbeard

One of his stories from his audio tapes he tells how he got all zeros for his last call in a calling contest. He was in Pennsylvania I think, he asked the judges about the zeros they said they'd never heard a hen cackle. Ben asked how many Turkeys the judges had killed they answered one or a few each, Ben let's them know he'd killed 5 Gobblers in a day using the cackle. He was either exaggerating to make a point or admitting to some serious over the limit shooting, no state at that time would allow anyone to shoot 5 Gobblers a day, you can't even do that in Texas today.
    Even as a kid hearing the tapes for the first time I had enough sense to filter out what was and was not right or wrong. Nobody is perfect but I'd say I'd rather put up with Bens character flaws than some of the reapers and hen shooters that have no redeemable qualities whatsoever, at least Ben told a decent story. 

If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Bowguy

Quote from: crow on May 24, 2020, 08:30:27 AM
Quote from: Bowguy on May 24, 2020, 05:30:20 AM
Ah man, no way! Really??

Why use the teacher/pedafile remark as an example and then turn around and say your not referring to him that way. Thats a poor example to use and uncalled  for.

Tom Kelly in Tenth legion mentions up country hunters that on matters of killing game (and taking timber) for personal use are on a different wave length than the rest of us, but he respected them was proud to call some of them friends.

Charles Elliot in his book enjoyed hunting with Ben Lee and speaks highly of him.

I've read Ben Lee's book several times and watched his hunting videos and don't recall any mention of poaching or tresspasss in them.

and for the record I'm not in favor of poaching, and Tom Kelly went on to say how it benefited the turkey population when a lot of rural folks moved to the cities in the 30's and 40's for work.

Why the remark cause that was the example showing how one thing could cancel out something else came to mind. I don't see what I'd do dif as I personally don't see that as offensive the way it was written but I'll make note of it.
Now if you've read books and saw his videos maybe you should figure incriminating evidence wouldn't be in them?? Pretty common sense if you ask me,  But you are entitled to view him anyway you like as I am. Nothing to do with personal use the way he presented it. You weren't there. You don't know what you don't know. I was there in person w kids, wives, girlfriends of hunters. It was very uncomfortable in that room. Imagine all the people who were there w someone who don't hunt, they got a really bad impression of us. Man was not an ambassador

Howie g

Back then ,  trespassing, over stepping limits shooting hours etc where not viewed the same as they are now .
You didn't have high dollar leases , and the majority of land owners could care less as long as you didn't harm there cattle or cutt a fence etc . It was simply a different time period . Things have changed ... some for the better, some worse .  My own hunting practices, morels have changed over the years .  I'd bet the farm that truth be told most turkeys hunters that hunted that era would say the same . 
   I never met Ben Lee , wish I would have though .  Probly would've learned a thing or two from him .
     I ran across some brand new still in packets calls he made .  I've got a mouth call carrier / a cassette tape / a tube caller all never opened in my call collection and cherish them even though he may of been a little ruff around the edges .