OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Slate vs glass and all else

Started by Chick, May 17, 2020, 11:08:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chick

I have never used anything except a diaphragm call
Had good luck with them. I was thinking to add a pot call. Does slate or glass work the best??

AppalachianHollers

There are other types...aluminum (including anodized, which comes in black and green), crystal, and even slate comes in at least 3 different colors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chick

Yes, those are included. But, what works the best and why?

bbcoach

Redhead, Blonde or Burnette?  They ALL work!  IMO slate is more mellow, lower pitch but you can get loud with them with the right striker.  Ceramic is a little louder and a bit higher pitch and will play in moisture.  Glass and crystal have a higher pitch and you can really make them POP but you can tone them down really well and play well in moisture.  Aluminum has the highest pitch (frequency) and can get loud and play well in moisture.  I personally carry one of each with several strikers and will use them all.

yelpy

IMO if you arent sure if you want a glass or slate call get a good green slate pot.

Buckrub

Let's not forget the other metals; Brass, Stainless Steel, Copper and my favorite Titanium !!!

bonasa

Crystal over aluminum or a dense hardwood. No need for anything else.

Happy hooker

Chick
Sounds like the perfect call for your first pot
Is a double sider,,,one side slate the other side Crystal or glass ,,then you can decide which one you like more or get rid of it.and go back to mouth calls.

Greg Massey

All slate over glass are not equal , it all depends on the builder of the pot call for the sound your wanting .. Best to get with someone like Mark Cornelius, Buster - Larry Halford , Clay Townsend and James Witmer and listen to some sound files before deciding.. Lot's of other pot call surfaces also..

outdoors

I agree with Greg not all calls are created equal.............
Just buy. And  buy. And buy  and. Buy. And. Buy ............
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

310 gauge

While you're choosing a few different pot styles and surfaces don't forget a double fistful of strikers along the way. Sometimes the striker you get along with the call might not meet your expectations exactly. Sure they will " play", but will they" perform" when you are one on one with Tom Turkey? There are some outstanding call makers / collectors just a "click" away from setting you up from experience with what should work for you once your addiction grows...