turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Federal TSS

Started by Neill_Prater, July 26, 2020, 09:34:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neill_Prater

I recently purchased a new Weatherby SA459 in 20 gauge and plan on starting the patterning and sighting in process in the near future. I have the factory choke and have purchased Carlson's chokes in .555 and ,575 configurations to start, hopefully being able to achieve a good hunting pattern with one of the above.

My question is, for those of you who have been through the process of getting the right choke/shell combination with TSS loads, is it worth my time and effort to try the Federal TSS shells, or should I just focus on some of the premium offerings like Apex or Foxtrot? My goal is to get a nice, even hunting pattern with good  40 yard numbers, then call it quits and buy enough of whatever shells work well to take care of my needs for the next few years.

Thanks.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

WV Ridge Reaper

I would buy foxtrot and be doing with it..The thing with shells such as federal,hevi..is that you get a box then you start chasing lot number...That is 100% the benefit in hand loading,you know what goes in the shell every time..Can't speak for apex myself but foxtrot is top notch imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gmed

You are going to get 30 different combos that shoot the Federals (or any TSS) load well. I have a couple of guns - one with a 21" barrel and one with a 26" barrel), and both like the .562 Sumtoy. My 26" barrel Affinity likes the Sumtoy or the Jebs .575 High Voltage. The Jebs says it's a waterfowl choke, but after talking to the guys there, it's only a name. It and the Sumtoy .562 in the same gun throw 289 and 271 respectively in 10" at 40 and have even hunting patterns. I would hunt either. With a .570 Jebs, I got into the 350s with the same Federal. 3" 1 1/2 oz #9...

Fullfan

I have two of the sa459's in 20ga.  I hand load my own ammo, a 562-5 Sumtoy and the Indian Creek 555 are the chokes I run. MY load is  1 5/8oz on 9' and a load of 1oz 9's under 5/8oz of 8's.  The Indian Creek is very tight where the Sumtoy produces a nice even pattern with 300ish in the 10@40.

Just to see how Apex ammo did, I bought a box and shot it through both my guns. It did just as well as my hand loads.
Don't gobble at me...

BandedSpur

If you don't handload, your best chance at consistency is probably Foxtrot. They are basically small batch handloads.