OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

tutorial videos for pot calls

Started by Meleagris gallopavo, May 05, 2020, 08:27:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Meleagris gallopavo

What are some of the best tutorial videos for learning to use the pot call?  For free or purchase.
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

AppalachianHollers

I found the video for this call to be enormously helpful.

http://www.enticerturkeycalls.com/shop/turkey-calls/silver-thunder-extreme-aluminum/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sir-diealot

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Greg Massey

Lot's of good video's on youtube, some lot better than others , main thing practice and angle your striker .. also strikers will make a big difference in how pot call will play , you have straight tip strikers and flare tip .. weight of the striker and wood type.

Meleagris gallopavo

I have always had consistency problems with most things I do.  I can take a certain pot and striker combo and play it great one day and the next time I use it I struggle even making a noise.  I carry 3 pots and 6 strikers with me.  I have to mess around with combinations (softly) in the field to figure out which combo will work for me that day.  I just need to practice more intensely so the striker angle and the pot surface are second nature.  I have watched several videos before and it seems some folks have different pot scratching patterns for yelps.  My yelps tend to be high pitched with little rasp.  Sometimes I can get the rasp going but I can't seem to duplicate it the next time.
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

callmakerman

Bill Zering of Cody makes a great DVD on calling with pot calls.

Turkeytider

Quote from: AppalachianHollers on May 05, 2020, 08:44:21 PM
I found the video for this call to be enormously helpful.

http://www.enticerturkeycalls.com/shop/turkey-calls/silver-thunder-extreme-aluminum/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

An excellent call IMO. The corian backside is really nice for soft calling in the afternoons.

3bailey3

yes I had the Cody video its great but a buddy I let borrow it and I never saw it again.   

DerekDixon

Sadler McGraw has some good videos on YouTube from when he was with wood haven I think.  Just look up turkeyhunter1972. He has some instructional videos on his style of calling. He makes some great sounding calls and easy to run. I have his crystal call and one of his green slates and they are full of turkey.

Greg Massey

Quote from: Meleagris gallopavo on May 06, 2020, 07:35:15 AM
I have always had consistency problems with most things I do.  I can take a certain pot and striker combo and play it great one day and the next time I use it I struggle even making a noise.  I carry 3 pots and 6 strikers with me.  I have to mess around with combinations (softly) in the field to figure out which combo will work for me that day.  I just need to practice more intensely so the striker angle and the pot surface are second nature.  I have watched several videos before and it seems some folks have different pot scratching patterns for yelps.  My yelps tend to be high pitched with little rasp.  Sometimes I can get the rasp going but I can't seem to duplicate it the next time.
A lot of that pot call not playing is not your fault , moisture and humidity play a big part in how it will sound on a given day. So it's not all you at all...We all have this problem with our pots ...

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Greg Massey on May 08, 2020, 10:27:01 AM
Quote from: Meleagris gallopavo on May 06, 2020, 07:35:15 AM
A lot of that pot call not playing is not your fault , moisture and humidity play a big part in how it will sound on a given day. So it's not all you at all...We all have this problem with our pots ...
I had some great calls out there other day and they would not play well for just the reason Gregg is saying. Lucky for me I keep some foul weather pots in my blind inside of a dry box just in case I run into that problem as well as various weather/waterproof strikers.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."