OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Thinking of buying dedicated Turkey gun

Started by Twister, May 14, 2011, 06:27:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twister

Right now i have a remington 870 20ga wingmaster i use for grouse. But i want a dedicated Turkey Gun.
I was tossing around either a Youth 870 camo or a Mossberg Bantam camo or Benelli Nova camo or any other shotgun you guys might suggest.

But the youth remington 870 only has a camo stock and forearm and i want the whole gun to be camo which the Mossburg bantam is all camo and is already drilled for a scope receiver. So i was leaning towards the mossberg unless you guys convince me otherwise.

And another thing, is the youth 870 or the bantam frame to small for an adult? Or should i go for an adult turkey gun?

I am wanting a 20ga and this gun will be for me. With a Burris, Mueller type red dot or a scope. Trying to do this at a reasonable price.

All suggestions welcome. What shotgun would you suggest?

Luke95

My rig is a mossberg 500c in 20ga with a sum toy custom choke and a nikon turkey pro. As far as red dots go I would suggest the Burris it is built in the philipeans not china and it will out last the mueller but you can't go wrong either way the mueller has better recticles.  The 500c is perfect for me big build and 230lbs @ 6th tall.
Sumtoy Get Choked

redarrow

Mine is a Nova. Its a great gun but it is a bit of a rattler.Hope to fix that soon with some "O" rings.

dawei

I too concur with the previous recommendation - Get a Mossberg® Mdl 500C. I have one that I bought new in 06/2000 and it has been outstanding as a turkey and waterfowl gun. Using a Wrights® Swarm™ .555" choke it is deadly to forty yards plus with Winchester® Supreme® #4Pb.

David

Only two defining forces ever died for you.
1. Jesus Christ.
2. The American Soldier, Sailor, Airman, and Marine.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

1Cross+3Nails=4Given

Nimrodmar10

Go ahead and go to Wal Mart and buy one of the Remington 11-87 20 ga camoed guns. Around $600 and makes a heck of a turkey gun.

gobblergls

Neither the Mossy or Rem Youth models are too small for an adult.  I increased LOP on the Bantam with a slip on butt pad and raised the comb with a neoprene comb sleeve with foam insert.  An adult stock can also be added to the Mossy.  The Mossy is lighter than the 870.

Twister

Well i was looking online and i kind of like this gun.

http://www.hinterlandoutfitters.com/mossberg-model-grand-slam-turkey-shotgun-54239-pump-chmbr-realtree-hardwood-green-p-25390.html.

Or

http://www.hinterlandoutfitters.com/mossberg-model-super-bantam-turkey-shotgun-54253-gauge-chmbr-mobu-infinity-xfull-chokes-p-33782.html

But am worried it would be too small for me but i like that it is so light. But im 5' 8" and about 200 lbs. So i dont have a big body frame.

Or this one,

http://www.hinterlandoutfitters.com/mossberg-model-super-bantam-shotgun-54140-pump-chmbr-realtree-hardwood-green-stock-green-full-choke-sights-p-25413.html

I like the realtree hardwood HD better. But does this have screw in chokes? or are they fixed? As the latter is cheaper but would need a differn't choke if it can be changed as it doesen't say if it's interchangeable.

Quote from: Nimrodmar10 on May 14, 2011, 11:26:12 PM
Go ahead and go to Wal Mart and buy one of the Remington 11-87 20 ga camoed guns. Around $600 and makes a heck of a turkey gun.

The 11-87 would be a good choice as i am a remington man. But i do not like the autos. I'd rather manually eject and load the next shell for safety.

And i could fully deck out one of these other guns for the 600 or less.