turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Illumination in the flatwoods-My review

Started by chatterbox, February 12, 2011, 07:05:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chatterbox

I just finished Illumination in the flatwoods, and I have to say, I was flat out blown away with what I learned about turkey behavior!
I think the most interesting thing I learned was a turkeys insatable appitite for learning everything about where they live. One example was a mature tom that was attacked by a coyote, but lived. The imprint of the attack on the bird was so strong, that he approached this area with considerable wariness for 2 weeks after the attack. They also seem to take great displeasure from animals that try to hide from them!
It is a very well written, thoughtful look into the life of a wild turkey, and I suspect it is one of the finest books on the subject!

FireFly908

I have read the book, too, and plan on reading it again.  It is quite an eye opening on turkey behavior.  I was totally amazed at some of the things like turkeys being able to differentiate between a bird of prey and a harmless bird flying very high and a distance away.  Also, they could differentiate between a bird of prey in hunting mode and one that one just cruising.  It was tremendously enlightening and well written.
It has a thumbs up from me.

Gobble!

RutnNStrutn

ddturkeyhunter

I just started to read it yesterday didn't get very far but it was very interesting about the hatching cycle and how he in printed himself on them.

4nolz2

I have read the book many times and given many as gifts-reading the book will make you a better turkey hunter imo.Hutto said "unexplained yelping consistently made the birds nervous" and I have always remembered that while calling and think it has helped me.

his recent studies are with bighorn sheep in Wyoming and why they are in decline-his latest book is kind of  a take off of IFW its called "The light in high places" about his sheep studies.

Cove

I had the same response from the book, i read it last year. Awesome and flat out sad in a couple spots.  :begging:

camp man

I like it too.... I bought it on advice given from Tom Kelly from one of his books. It's a really good book.

Mag10

It is quite an eye opening on turkey behavior...

turkey slayer

Shoregobbler

Great Book and a Great Read for sure. Covers Turkey behavior completely.

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

4nolz2

It used to be a pretty expensive out-of-print book (I think I bought some hardbacks for $125) but now it is available in re-released paperback at inexpensive prices-they are for sale at Tom kellys website.

HOOKS1

I've had this book for several years and read it a couple of times. Very informative about turkey behavior and helped me improve my hunting of these birds.

tjh24

Ok you guys got me interested now, who is the author and where can i find it?