Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

.410 fixed full choke and Federal TSS 9's

Started by Yoder409, April 13, 2020, 09:07:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yoder409

Anyone able to give me a first-hand expectation ??

Set up a real nice, old H&R Topper 158 for my boy with an EGW picatinny rail and a red-dot and have some Federal TSS #9's in hand.  It mics .370" at the muzzle........which seems awfully tight (doesn't it ??).  I'm gonna rough the dot in with some lead 7 1/2's then start burning $5 bills for the final adjustments.

I have ZERO experience with the .410   Anyone else tried a similar combo ??

Thanks !!
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Zilla

I set up an old Springfield bolt action 410 with a Burris FF3 several years ago for my daughter. I just mic'd it at the muzzle at .380. I patterned it with both the Apex and Federal TSS shells. Mine preferred the Apex over the Federal. If I remember correctly, it was patterning about 130-140 in the 10 at 40 yards. I switched to the 9 1/2 shot TSS and the numbers jumped to about 180. I patterned it the same way you stated. I like the gun so much that I've been hunting it over my SBE the past 2 years. 40 yard gun all day long. Yours would definitely be a little tight at .370 as most guys are shooting .385 to .390. I'd be curious to see the pattern it shoots. Sorry for the lengthy post.

Yoder409

No sorry !!!    I'm looking for all the advice and info I can get.  Greatly appreciate your help and info !!!
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Yoder409

So far...........so good.

Took the gun to the back yard today and started to rough it in with 3" lead #7 1/2 shot.  The very first shot at 30 yards carried enough pattern density to be a reliable killer at 30 with the Walmart Remington lead shells.  And, surprisingly, the POI was dead-nutz on left to right.  I needed to bring it down 6-ish inches.  But it was close enough it would DEFINITELY have killed a bird first shot from "new".

Hoping to tweek it a whisker more with lead tomorrow then run a TSS #9 down range and see............
PA elitist since 1979

Zilla

Sounds like you have a shooter! If you were happy with the 7 1/2 lead shot, I would expect the TSS 9s to be even better. Good luck!