turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

3" Mag Blend Pattern

Started by 3" 870 Shell Shucker, May 13, 2011, 12:55:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

3" 870 Shell Shucker

(You can see the Pattern Pictures farther down this page)

I'm going to give the 3" Mag Blend a try in my 28" 870 very soon, through:
Indian Creek .665 Ported with Wad Catchers
Indian Creek .675 Non-Ported without Wad Catchers

Which do you think will throw the better pattern at 40 Yards?

Gobble!

Lon0121

the catchers as well,  But to be honest if it were me I would use both chokes to see what one patterns best.  JMO
Quaker Boy pro-staff
mossy oak pro-staff

decoykrvr

My personal testing and intuition would be the .665.  I did get marginally better patterns out of a 31/2" BPS w/ the .675 vs the .665 and Mag-Blends, but the .665 patterned better w/ both 6's and 7's.  Both of the chokes had the wad retention rings.

3" 870 Shell Shucker

I am going to try both chokes. 

Just wondering what others have experienced with 3" Mag Blend.

mossy835

3" mag blend 1 shot 1 dead turkey, it is all I need.

Gobble!

Quote from: mossy835 on May 16, 2011, 04:09:01 PM
3" mag blend 1 shot 1 dead turkey, it is all I need.

sounds like it worked  :jackson:

3" 870 Shell Shucker

I just shot both chokes with 3" Magnum Blend at 60 Degrees.  The .665 choke blew the .675 choke away in my 870.  POA and POI were within 1/2" of being Perfectly Dead On.  This was the 5th shot I fired through the 870, but the only shot I fired through the .665 choke.  I didn't clean in-between shots.

The .665 pattern = 190 in 10" at 40 Yards.

3" 870 Shell Shucker

I'm very happy with this outcome.  Dead On POA / POI, 190 at 60 Degrees with a Dirty Barrel, 1200 fps, etc.

3" 870 Shell Shucker

Front Side of Target, 13" Circle was POA, 40 Yards, 60 Degrees, Dirty Barrel, 3" Magnum Blend.  Cheap Phone Camera.

3" 870 Shell Shucker

Most likely, I can only beat this pattern's numbers and density with Straight #7 HTL.  Therefore, there's no reason for me to buy any more #6's, as long as the Magnum Blend is available. 

It's #7's, and/or Magnum Blend for me from now on. :anim_65:

TauntoHawk

same i bought both blends and 7's they both are trusted enough to take to the woods.. 7's obviously got more pellets on target but the blends had such an even pattern and with the increase in energy really feel they are equal in the woods to the 7's if not a little better.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Roost Wrecker

great pattern. Im with you as long as I can get the mag blends that is all I will shoot in my 835! :z-guntootsmiley:

jfair

I know this has been talked about but can't remember the numbers.  Does anyone know the count for each size pellet in the magblends?

mmusso

Quote from: jfair on May 17, 2011, 05:01:26 PM
I know this has been talked about but can't remember the numbers.  Does anyone know the count for each size pellet in the magblends?

See Slicky's post and the other thread link on this thread for pellet count/oz
http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,8223.0.html