OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

1 Natural wood striker

Started by Sir-diealot, April 09, 2020, 11:16:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turkeyfool

Neil tulipwood I picked up at NWTF this year is downright nasty

Sir-diealot

Quote from: WildTigerTrout on April 10, 2020, 07:53:33 PM
Hickory if forced to pick just one.  I also like Purpleheart.
I had a corncob hickory striker back before 2001 before my car accident that I liked quite a bit, I do not know whatever came of that and a few other corncob strikers I had, they just up and vanished. I was paying people to clean for me because I could not do it at that time and I half wonder if somebody walked away with them.

Quote from: turkeyfool on April 13, 2020, 02:38:31 PM
Neil tulipwood I picked up at NWTF this year is downright nasty
I do want to get one from him eventually, I know his dymondwood strikers work great.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

wvmntnhick

Black locust. No question. The ones I've got run great on everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sir-diealot

Quote from: wvmntnhick on April 13, 2020, 08:04:52 PM
Black locust. No question. The ones I've got run great on everything.

I have been hearing a lot of people talk about black locust over the past few months, I will have to get on for next season.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

camotoe

Anyone ever use cedar or Douglas fir ? I have a bunch of broken wood arrows and made one out of cedar seems to work good on slate. 

Turkeytider

Interesting how often snakewood, tulipwood and hickory come up on so many lists and for so many surfaces. If you had to, I think you could make it with a good representative of just those three with a wet weather striker thrown in. BUT what would be the fun in that ?

Sir-diealot

Quote from: camotoe on April 14, 2020, 06:42:32 AM
Anyone ever use cedar or Douglas fir ? I have a bunch of broken wood arrows and made one out of cedar seems to work good on slate. 

I did have a cedar at one point, I did not care for it but I think it was the striking tip that I did not like, it was very pointed and I just did not like the sound. I would be willing to try another in the future from ether JLH or Stuckey.

Quote from: Turkeytider on April 14, 2020, 08:05:45 AM
Interesting how often snakewood, tulipwood and hickory come up on so many lists and for so many surfaces. If you had to, I think you could make it with a good representative of just those three with a wet weather striker thrown in. BUT what would be the fun in that ?

I have all 3 and am trying to get used to the snakewood, the tip is a little different than the mushroom tips I normally use but it still sounds good on slate and glass when I get it right.

John Koenig:

zelmo1

I can play my calls with my own purpleheart striker. I do like different lengths on different surfaces

Turkeytider

Quote from: Sir-diealot on April 14, 2020, 11:11:31 PM
Quote from: camotoe on April 14, 2020, 06:42:32 AM

I did have a cedar at one point, I did not care for it but I think it was the striking tip that I did not like, it was very pointed and I just did not like the sound. I would be willing to try another in the future from ether JLH or Stuckey.

Quote from: Turkeytider on April 14, 2020, 08:05:45 AM

I have all 3 and am trying to get used to the snakewood, the tip is a little different than the mushroom tips I normally use but it still sounds good on slate and glass when I get it right.

I have a JLH weighted cedar that`s the best thing I have when it comes to clucks and purrs. While I can roll into a soft yelp with it, harder woods are easier when it comes to a yelp, at least IMO.

dah

Sir-diealot 
  I have a hunting buddy who uses the Mad super crystal and two piece purple heart striker . It is his go to call and about the only call I see him use . I don't know anyone else with one and don't see them for sale . Been hunting with him for ten years or more and was using it when I met him . I know this , it sounds really good in the woods.

dah

As far a wood strikers  , I have a decent collection . But if I was only putting two one piece wood strikers in my vest it is hickory and an old Quaker Boy cocobolo striker . That's if I was only carrying two .

Sir-diealot

Quote from: dah on April 16, 2020, 11:04:01 PM
Sir-diealot 
  I have a hunting buddy who uses the Mad super crystal and two piece purple heart striker . It is his go to call and about the only call I see him use . I don't know anyone else with one and don't see them for sale . Been hunting with him for ten years or more and was using it when I met him . I know this , it sounds really good in the woods.
Yes it sure does, I fell 2 years ago I guess it was and lost my purple heart that came with it and no other purple heart I have tried has sounded as good, sure wish I could find one of those strikers again.

Quote from: dah on April 16, 2020, 11:13:55 PM
  As far a wood strikers  , I have a decent collection . But if I was only putting two one piece wood strikers in my vest it is hickory and an old Quaker Boy cocobolo striker . That's if I was only carrying two .
I recently got a cocobolo striker here on a trade, has a really good sound. I like hickory on slate, that's for sure.

John Koenig: