OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Hen Gobble

Started by longbeards, April 21, 2020, 07:04:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

longbeards

Anyone ever see a hen gobble?
I did today and still don't believe it!

Was not a loud or bold gobble but it
For sure gobbled right in front of me!
I about choked on my mouth call!

Ol timer

Yes several times Hens will strut full fantail also.

guesswho

I saw one in Nebraska walk out into a big field by herself while there were 5 or 6 others about a 100-150 yards away.  She gobbled and went into full strut, came out, gobbled again and back into full strut.  The other hens ran straight to her.  Then she folded up and they all went on about their business as one group.  Still scratching my head on that one.  Only thing I can figure is she had seen it work for gobblers and adopted that tactic.   
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

g8rvet

I have seen a hen strut, but never heard one gobble. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Yoder409

Have a Gould's hen on video gobbling.  Sounds pretty lame.

Also saw a hen in full strut once.  Another hen came up behind her and actually bit/grabbed her by the hiney !!!!    :toothy12:
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Timmer

I have definitely seen hens strut, but never gobble.  Crazy birds!
Timmer

All of the tools, some of the skills!

Sir-diealot

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

JMalin

Saw one this season strut, spit, and drum, but never a gobble before.

hush

I have. Ugliest gobble I've ever heard. Before fly down, I set up on a gobbler I knew was there. He was about 60yds away. A few soft yelps and he fired off. About 40yds away, between me and him, came the ugliest sounding "gobble" I'd ever heard. I've heard some bad jake gobbles, but this was the worst. I initially thought it was a jake. Every time I yelped, she sounded off, then he gobbled. I actually yelped more than i ordinarily would have because I wanted to keep hearing her. I also wanted her to shut up as it was a horrible sound, but I couldn't stop. As it got light, she flew down right onto my hen decoy. She threw a fan up and strutted around making that awful gobble. It was a bearded hen. The gobbler got closer several times, but she'd run him off and return to the decoy. Never got a good shot at him. He gave up. Super cool morning.

Turkeyman

Several years ago I had one come in strutting and gobbling. She gobbled well...only lacking the volume of a tom.

idgobble

Jmloch

Never heard that before, but I've heard jakes and toms make noises I thought were hens until I saw them make the noise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brian Fahs

Yes.
I saw a hen strutting and gobbling on the limb one morning in the mountains of maryland.
It was a much softer and shorter gobble. She did it quite a bit before flydown.
There were several toms and Jakes roosted in that hollow with her. She would answer their every gobble.