turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Late Season question

Started by macobb, April 19, 2020, 11:14:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

macobb

Birds in my area barely gobble 1-2 times on the roost. Been seeing lone hens for past 10 days all times of the day. Last 4-5 days have seen them on the ground when I've been trying to roost the gobblers in the evenings past sunset. This tells me they're staying on the nests. So what tips is there for when it seems like the birds have shut down completely.
Always wondering wether or not to give a cluck

Dtrkyman

Mid day or afternoon hunts if possible/legal.

Soft calling and hunt fresh sign!

macobb

Any tips on striking birds late season?
Always wondering wether or not to give a cluck

Happy

Just cause some hens are on the nest doesnt mean that they are all on the nest. I personally have a knack for finding a gobbler that always has one hen by his side. I don't even know if they are breeding them. But she usually doesn't want any company. That's for sure.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

silvestris

Soft calling and patience are the key, but late season is tough.  Single hens indicate nesting hens.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

LaLongbeard

Late season is the time to go back and try the Gobbler that had 6 hens all day. They can and will fire up and come to calls just like opening day. The thing is you have to cover ALOT of ground to find one that will cooperate or soft calling in known Turkey areas. I agree the soft calling and patience works but man I hate deer hunting a turkey. I'd rather walk 10 miles a day on the chance of hitting one that wants to Gobble. There still out there you just have to find them.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Greg Massey

Quote from: LaLongbeard on April 21, 2020, 05:17:48 PM
Late season is the time to go back and try the Gobbler that had 6 hens all day. They can and will fire up and come to calls just like opening day. The thing is you have to cover ALOT of ground to find one that will cooperate or soft calling in known Turkey areas. I agree the soft calling and patience works but man I hate deer hunting a turkey. I'd rather walk 10 miles a day on the chance of hitting one that wants to Gobble. There still out there you just have to find them.
Agree , everything gets more difficult as you get into the later season.

Chris O

I agree you just have to catch a bird in the right mood. I hunt until late in the day. Most guys are out of the woods by then. Soft calling can work but so can being really aggressive and loud. Maybe switch calls, most birds have heard pot calls and mouth calls. Try a box call or scratch box to be a touch different. My very first turkey I ever killed I hunted him off the roost and kept trying to get in front of him and never could he would answer me off and on but kept moving away. Finally at 10:00 it was like hitting a switch and he came charging in to me. I think he finally lost his hens so he came to me. Catching one at the right time is a big plus

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dzsmith

Quote from: LaLongbeard on April 21, 2020, 05:17:48 PM
Oh yeah i hate blind/soft calling late season birds.....Its generally a useless endevaour unless you are in a "known turkey area" as you call it....and if you are hunting public from gate to gate you dont per say know if you are in one of those area or not. I will do it, and have killed birds doing it. but like you said, id rather walk and walk and walk until i find on that will play the game. even if he just gobbles one time and i make a setup and sit there for 2 hours.Id rather do that than just go setup blind. I took a friend this morning and it can get very hard this time of year to find one to play the game especially if its been getting pounded like it did this year.
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."