OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What's the best tick repellent

Started by kyturkeyhunter4, April 04, 2020, 11:31:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dswmsn

Quote from: Bagg-it Tag-it on April 05, 2020, 02:17:16 PM
Martin's Permethrin 10 from Amazon smells the least. 1 oz of the concentrate to 20 oz of water in a spray bottle. Works great.
I got this off Ebay or Amazon. It is much cheaper to mix your own w/ the above 20:1 ratio. I use 19 oz H2O:1 oz Martin's Permethrin. BTW, to the guy above that eats garlic cloves, remind me to never get closed up in a truck w/ you on a Turkey hunt unless I have had a huge meal of pinto beans the night before in self defense.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: dswmsn on April 10, 2020, 11:14:47 AM
Martin's Permethrin 10 from Amazon smells the least. 1 oz of the concentrate to 20 oz of water in a spray bottle. Works great.
I got this off Ebay or Amazon. It is much cheaper to mix your own w/ the above 20:1 ratio. I use 19 oz H2O:1 oz Martin's Permethrin. BTW, to the guy above that eats garlic cloves, remind me to never get closed up in a truck w/ you on a Turkey hunt unless I have had a huge meal of pinto beans the night before in self defense.
lol I believe you mean me and falltoms. We will bring some matches to add to the fun.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

quackaddict

Quote from: captpete on April 10, 2020, 09:50:35 AM
Quote from: Happy hooker on April 09, 2020, 07:24:29 PM
So,,,this sawyers is a concentrate bottle that you mix right with water in your own spray bottle,,sounds a lot less expensive that way

No, the Sawyers is pre-mixed, ready to use. Like posted above the Martin's 10% you can get on Amazon. The last time I bought it, it was around $30 for a quart bottle. The directions say to mix 1oz. concentrate to 19oz. water for .5%. I mix 1oz. to 18 oz. of water making it just a touch stronger than.5%. As you can see, a quart of concentrate will go a long ways.

Here is a link to what I buy on Amazon:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0076PXCSO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Quote from: bbcoach on April 09, 2020, 06:17:05 PM
Quote from: kyturkeyhunter4 on April 09, 2020, 02:37:46 PM
Thanks for the info guys. Where do you buy permethrin at
Internet (Martins 10%), Tractor Supply carries it in the pet / cattle section, I get mine at my local Garden Supply store.  You should be able to get it locally as this is used for dipping dogs for fleas and ticks.
Quote from: tracker#1 on April 09, 2020, 07:42:19 PM
Happy Hooker, I don't believe Sawyers,5%, is a concentrate. The product I purchased was Martins 10% which is concentrated, on Amazon. It's water-based, not petroleum. It was $26 TYD. I have used Sawyers. Now going to field test the Martins. This is less expensive also. It says it last 28 days. It also says you get around 6 washings but I saw a YouTube video study debunk that. You should retreat after wash according to him.

Do you guys just spray your clothing down before a hunt, or do you "treat it" after every few washes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

grayfox

Duration Permethrin 10%. I been buying it off the internet. I always soak my hunting clothes in the recommended mixture & let them dry. I try not to wash them afterwards during the season but if I do I retreat them again. I also spray my boots down with bug spray before each hunt. Since I've been using this method the last 4-5 seasons I haven't found any ticks on me after hunting. It seems to work very well.

captpete

Quote from: quackaddict on April 10, 2020, 05:59:36 PM
Quote from: captpete on April 10, 2020, 09:50:35 AM
Quote from: Happy hooker on April 09, 2020, 07:24:29 PM
So,,,this sawyers is a concentrate bottle that you mix right with water in your own spray bottle,,sounds a lot less expensive that way

No, the Sawyers is pre-mixed, ready to use. Like posted above the Martin's 10% you can get on Amazon. The last time I bought it, it was around $30 for a quart bottle. The directions say to mix 1oz. concentrate to 19oz. water for .5%. I mix 1oz. to 18 oz. of water making it just a touch stronger than.5%. As you can see, a quart of concentrate will go a long ways.

Here is a link to what I buy on Amazon:  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0076PXCSO/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Quote from: bbcoach on April 09, 2020, 06:17:05 PM
Quote from: kyturkeyhunter4 on April 09, 2020, 02:37:46 PM
Thanks for the info guys. Where do you buy permethrin at
Internet (Martins 10%), Tractor Supply carries it in the pet / cattle section, I get mine at my local Garden Supply store.  You should be able to get it locally as this is used for dipping dogs for fleas and ticks.
Quote from: tracker#1 on April 09, 2020, 07:42:19 PM
Happy Hooker, I don't believe Sawyers,5%, is a concentrate. The product I purchased was Martins 10% which is concentrated, on Amazon. It's water-based, not petroleum. It was $26 TYD. I have used Sawyers. Now going to field test the Martins. This is less expensive also. It says it last 28 days. It also says you get around 6 washings but I saw a YouTube video study debunk that. You should retreat after wash according to him.

Do you guys just spray your clothing down before a hunt, or do you "treat it" after every few washes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I spray our clothes a few days before we hunt and let them dry. I treat everything except underwear & socks. Our season run 4 to 20 days. I never retreat our clothes because we only hunt the shorter seasons(4, 5 or 7 days depending on which we hunt). I always make sure to not wash our clothes until next year just before the season starts(wash then treat). I have worn my hunting clothes mushroom hunting 3-4 weeks after treating them and never had a tick on me. My buddy who doesn't usually treat his clothes(I'm working on him) will find several ticks on him.