Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Another one...

Started by Smooth_Operator, April 08, 2020, 07:36:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smooth_Operator

Just busted a big ole Eastern boys, this will definitely be an upgrade...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"The woods are lovely, dark and deep,  
But I have promises to keep,  
And miles to go before I sleep,  
And miles to go before I sleep."

Smooth_Operator

jarbo03

Great bird, congrats!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Gobble!

Hell yeah!

Great stuff congrats.

Whats the story behind it?

Smooth_Operator

Turns out he's a triple beard, didn't even notice till I was carrying him out lol. Are we still not scoring multiple beards?

Smooth_Operator

Quote from: Gobble! on April 08, 2020, 08:57:35 AM
Hell yeah!

Great stuff congrats.

Whats the story behind it?
So yesterday I took a buddy hunting who has never killed a turkey, in hopes of him getting his first. The area we hunted had been clearcut at the end of last season, so it was very open and if you've ever hunted a clearcut you know how hard that can be. From scouting I found several birds using the area so I figured we'd give it a shot.

The gobbler was roosted on the side of a ridge where the wood line started, we circled way back in an effort to get on his ridge in the timber. By the time we made it he had already pitched out, but into the clearcut about two hundred yards away. We used the terrain to get within thirty yards by traveling up a draw, knowing he was just over the rise. I called him to our left, my buddy shot, clean miss and the bird high tailed it out of there.

My buddy couldn't join me this morning so I was going about it solo. My plan was to enter the WMA off the back side, through the woods, in hopes I could call him away from the clearcut if he happened to roost in the same area again. When I reached the spot I marked on GPS, he hammered across the creek on the same ridge as yesterday. The hunt was over in about ten minutes, I flapped a wing and made some fly down calls and heard him pitch out soon after.

He was to my left across the creek and there was a hen on my side of the creek calling to him. I made some sharp cuts and excited yelps and he fired off. About five minutes later I hear walking in the leaves just under the rise I was sitting near towards the creek. I then see a fan pop over the rise, I call and he comes out of strut. He pops his head up over the rise and I squeeze off the trigger and he dropped immediately. Hunt was over before the sun broke the horizon, one of those mornings where everything happened like it's supposed to

Happy

Congrats! That's a fine one.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

JL_Longbeard

Shoreguy

Good work. Nice looking bird you got there.

Gobble!

Quote from: Smooth_Operator on April 08, 2020, 09:35:11 AM
Turns out he's a triple beard, didn't even notice till I was carrying him out lol. Are we still not scoring multiple beards?

Nope only longest heard counts

Gobble!

Those short morning hunts are nice!

Gobble!

A 69er congrats again. Could be tough to beat that.

West Augusta

No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

Smooth_Operator

Thanks guys