turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

One of those years

Started by Spitten and drummen, April 11, 2020, 02:29:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom007

I do have to say, you have had some awesome interactions which proves your in the game my friend......
"Solo hunter"

paboxcall

Quote from: Tom007 on April 11, 2020, 04:28:54 PM
Anyone that can't say they had years like this hasn't hunted turkey's very long......... :turkey2:

Agree, and yes, had seasons just like yours. Happens more often when I get 'stuck' on a certain bird too. Seems like I can't do anything right for the days I devote trying to figure that particular bird or birds daily routine out and then counter.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Delmar ODonnell

Glad I'm not the only one. For me, there isn't much middle ground. I'm either feeling confident in my abilities or banging my head thinking "what in the absolute hell was I thinking?" It comes with the territory of being a turkey hunter I suppose. I find motivation knowing that redemption can come the next day (although at the time of mistake I feel like that's the last gobbling turkey I'll ever hear), and knowing that the mountain tops wouldn't seem so high without the valleys

Brian Fahs

I feel sometimes we are our own worst enemies with slumps. We often fall back on spots and tactics that worked in the past but are not currently the best option. Also as opportunities slip away most guys become more aggressive and less patient in their set ups. Often leading to yet more blown opportunities.

Face it we all have slumps and sometimes bad seasons in general. The hunter who keeps a positive attitude and sticks with it will usually connect eventually. It may be out of the norm or not exactly how we would have liked it but it will happen. In the end it's just hunting and there are things way more important in our lives than filling a tag.

Gobbler2577

It happens to everyone eventually I think.  My son was born on a month early March 14, 2008.  Our season opens March 15th.  That was the first year in many that I didnt kill a bird.  My wife had a hard time and was sick afterward and we stayed in the hospital several days.  I think I only hunted 2 mornings that year, but that wasnt the problem.  The next 2 years I had problems.  It was as if I had forgotten everything I knew about turkey hunting.  I managed to kill one bird in those 2 years but my confidence was shaken.  I know how you feel Jody and I hate it for you.  The good news is that it will turn around for you.  Like everything else in life we just keep on keeping on and this too shall pass. 

Sent from my SM-G930R7 using Tapatalk

Greg Massey

DON"T kick yourself at all, all of us veteran turkey hunters have been through these ruff times alone with the good times . It will come around , the more persistent you are the faster it will all come back together again and you will be successful. It's just what happens as we age .. I use to think if i hear him, i must kill him, but with age , that has all changed, if I'm successful great , if not i hope to hunt him another day. But i do have those days, i just want to throw it all away calls, gun , satchel and just cry. That turkey whipped my BUTT again..

roberthyman14

Right there with you,  missed a bird earlier this season with my daughter in the blind.  She is 5 and wanted to go since last year, this year I put up a blind on a piece of private that we can hunt.  We got there in the afternoon knowing the birds use that field the last hour every day before roost.  She did pretty good hanging out for the majority of the time, then she was ready to go. So instead of making it no fun and making her stay we were about to leave with 45 mi utes left.  About the time a hen pops out to our right, we wait a minute then a Jake follows her out.  My daughter was ready for me to shoot. So I did and somehow missed him.  That has been the only bird we have seen this season that we could shoot.  My hunting partner is a damn good turkey hunter and between us we haven't even got to work a bird all season.  Last weekend we finally got 1 to gobble, only problem was in opposite side of farm, by the time he got to them the hens carried him away.  So yeah, we understand completely. 2 weeks remain for us then it's over. 

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

perrytrails

It's a slump, many experience it. It's tough to overcome. Been there a few times over the years.

Confidence in your setup and calling will help you overcome it.

It can and will get in your head, back to basics.

When that bird shows interest and doesn't immediately commit and run to your barrel I have to tell myself over and over...patience!

Things happen, bumped birds, broken or lost calls. Mistakes are gonna be made no matter how long or how experienced you are.

It's always that morning that everything goes wrong, your wore out. Even seriously considered just sleeping in that morning.......everything comes together at the right time.

That's why we do it...

1iagobblergetter

I wouldn't worry about it. It's turkey hunting. That's what keeps me coming back. It makes it all the better when everything goes right and gets you thinking again that you do know what your doing out there.
This year's starting off about like yours for me. Between weather and getting birds to respond and thinking they are definitely going to come in and then nothing.
Hopefully I don't get to the breaking or losing stuff phase though.

Gooserbat

I've killed two in the first five days of hunting.  Both were hard earned birds that took patience to find a working turkey but once I found a willing bird the setup and finish was rather quick.  Called in another for my cousin and it took about an hour and fourty-five minutes for the tom to get in the mood but once he did he covered 200 yards in 10-15 minutes.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Spitten and drummen

Thanks for the encouragement guys. Appreciate all the feedback. Its good to share the misery with like minded people who know the feeling. This is not my first slump , but fortunately its been a long time since I had one. Spoiled from limiting out year after year. On the bright side , at least I am not gonna be goose egged.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Jfowler82

I agree if you have turkey hunted very long things have gone south occasionally. However it is important to not put to much pressure on yourself . A lot of the times I have messed up I found myself trying to make it happen . Keep getting after them and have fun your luck will change soon !