OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

How does hot weather affect turkeys?

Started by Amos Moses, April 06, 2021, 02:01:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amos Moses

I will be hunting in south Texas this weekend.  Forecast calls for heat - highs around 100.  I'm afraid this is going to put a damper on the hunting.  Maybe there birds are more accustomed to the heat and won't shut down.  I know it would have an adverse affect on our birds (Kentucky).  Anybody care to share their experience/knowledge on what to expect?  Thanks.

Sasha and Abby

They will do normal daylight stuff...  then head for the shade and water..

WV Flopper

It effects me more than the resident turkeys, you as well. Normal day to them.

Greg Massey

Agree normal day, but they will look for shaded spots to hang out, rest, breed and feed...

Marc

I feel like a little too hot is worse than a little too cold...

Hot weather makes them considerably more inactive.  Generally early morning will be good, and it will shut down sooner during hotter temps (in my experience).
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Paulmyr

Just put a canopy over the feeder. Should be good to go. :funnyturkey:
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

High plains drifter

They stay in the deep cuts, near water.They sort  if hunker down, and they won't come to a call.

Amos Moses

Thanks guys.  I'll just have to make the most of it and hope for the best.

Hobbes

You can definitely kill birds in hot weather but I think you'll have your best luck early morning.  They seem to seek out shaded areas to try to stay cool.  I probably dislike the heat more than they do.

Crghss

Quote from: Marc on April 06, 2021, 03:45:09 PM
I feel like a little too hot is worse than a little too cold...

Hot weather makes them considerably more inactive.  Generally early morning will be good, and it will shut down sooner during hotter temps (in my experience).

Yep, cold shuts them down IMO
Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...

Dtrkyman

Temps are relevant to where you are hunting, northern birds gobble hard on clear cold mornings, and hide from the heat early on when the canopy has not grown in yet.

I imagine birds in the far south tolerate the heat a little better, but none of them are standing in the scorching sun with those black feathers, use it to your advantage, water sources and shade are king.

I had a property I hunted years ago that had a pine stand, early season before green up  it was money in hot weather, I think every day I hunted or guided there that was over 80 degrees a bird was shot!

turkeygod4

They'll hit the shade mid morning and stay there most of the day. They'll come to calls if you're close to them. They will also starting moving again around 5-6 o'clock.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk