OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Overreacting?

Started by Drthorn, April 06, 2021, 04:11:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drthorn

Got a new piece of property back in January and had some skid steer work done this past winter to widen some old roads and open up some food plot areas. Tomorrow, we are going to finish leveling out those roads and and move some felled trees around into piles, etc.

Was out there this morning and turkeys were going crazy, strutting, gobbling, etc. That got me thinking if I should hold off or go ahead? Season opens this following saturday so will have about 10 days to settle down...any thoughts or experiences? I may just be overreacting.

guesswho

You would probably be fine to go ahead and have the work done.   I said probably.   I know not having it done you would definitely be fine.  So if it's something you can put off I'd let it ride until after season.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

PalmettoRon

Definitely wait. Nothing good is going to happen from the work for sure.

Dtrkyman

10 days to settle down, get it done.

PalmettoRon

I misread your question. Yes, if you've got 10 days following your work, you should be fine.

Greg Massey

If it can wait, that's what i would do.. if not go ahead and have the work done.. but in my opinion why risk the chance, spring turkey season is just so many days..

3bailey3

I would wait if at all possible!

TonyTurk

Leveling roads and moving trees sounds a lot like work.

I would hunt turkeys first, and work later! 

Drthorn

Quote from: TonyTurk on April 06, 2021, 06:43:56 PM
Leveling roads and moving trees sounds a lot like work.

I would hunt turkeys first, and work later!
I'm hiring it done lol

And I can't turkey hunt until opener which is 10 days from tomorrow. Hoping that's plenty of time for everything to settle down.

Hoping maybe they'll like the fresh dirt by leveling the roads

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crow

If my wife can hobble around until the end of the season on her 1 good leg and a crutch while waiting to get fit for her new wooden leg so I don't miss any woods time because of appointments,

those logs and brush piles can wait. I can't believe your even asking.

plus the more people on the property seeing/hearing gobblers before the season is just too risky

Drthorn

Well I know everyone was wondering lol. I went ahead and had the guy come in to clean up the roads and leaning trees to get them felled and piled. Got to the gate at 9am this morning and the field had several hens and 3 strutters in it. As we were working, around 2pm, there was a tom hammering in the woods less than 200 yards from the machine working.

I feel confident, with 10 days, the turkeys will be settled down and back to their normal habits. Heck, the fresh dirt on the logging roads will probably attract them. Guess we will see on the 17th.

TonyTurk

Now that the work is done, I will volunteer to come out and help thin out your pesky turkey population!  :turkey2:

Seriously, best of luck.  Hope you slay em on the 17th! 

Drthorn

Quote from: TonyTurk on April 07, 2021, 06:32:38 PM
Now that the work is done, I will volunteer to come out and help thin out your pesky turkey population!  :turkey2:

Seriously, best of luck.  Hope you slay em on the 17th!

Thanks. I'll keep you posted.