OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Are Low Brass #7 1/2 Game Loads Enough...?

Started by Full_Fan, March 30, 2020, 04:00:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Full_Fan

Quote from: BandedSpur on April 02, 2020, 08:16:50 AM
One more time and then I will shut up. If you want a good patterning, low recoil shell for a kid, get a box of high quality target loads loaded with 7&1/2s with either 7/8s or 1 oz of shot. Field loads use cheap shot that does not pattern as well. High brass field loads are no better. Don't believe it? Shoot them side by side and compare. Competitive target shooters shoot the best ammo available; turkey hunters should do no less.

I'm following you, thanks... so for high quality target load you would recommend Winch AA, Rem STS, Fed GM, etc. correct?

Full_Fan

Quote from: firedup on April 01, 2020, 08:01:24 PM
I set up a Mossberg youth 20 shooting 7 1/2 low brass field loads for a friend with some serious disabilities including severe neck disfunction. Read that as little to no recoil.  My tests, both for pattern and penetration indicated that at 25 yards it would certainly put a mature turkey down for the count. I might slip a bigger shell in there if the kid was older but at 9? Why take a chance and make her gunshy for years to come. Just another opinion. Everybodies got one.....

Exactly, I don't want to risk it... not even making her just gun shy, I don't want to turn her off to hunting all together.

Full_Fan

I just bought 3 boxes of...

Winchester AA Heavy Target Loads Shotshells - 20 Gauge - #7.5 Shot  AAH207

I'll shoot them against the game loads and see how they look.  Why does a guy always end up with more shells than expected??  haha

crow

you can never have more shells than you need, that is what shooting clay pigeons is for

don't forget to use some of the shells to practice shooting left handed (if your right handed) like you would be shooting a gobbler, sitting up against a tree in turkey position at cans or plastic bottles for yourself

for your girl, without over doing it because of recoil forget the left handed practice and just have her shoot a couple of paper patterns to see where she is hitting, then shoot cans or plastic bottles to keep it fun

BandedSpur

Quote from: Full_Fan on April 02, 2020, 01:34:23 PM
Quote from: BandedSpur on April 02, 2020, 08:16:50 AM
One more time and then I will shut up. If you want a good patterning, low recoil shell for a kid, get a box of high quality target loads loaded with 7&1/2s with either 7/8s or 1 oz of shot. Field loads use cheap shot that does not pattern as well. High brass field loads are no better. Don't believe it? Shoot them side by side and compare. Competitive target shooters shoot the best ammo available; turkey hunters should do no less.

I'm following you, thanks... so for high quality target load you would recommend Winch AA, Rem STS, Fed GM, etc. correct?

Correct!

BandedSpur

Quote from: Full_Fan on April 02, 2020, 02:16:11 PM
I just bought 3 boxes of...

Winchester AA Heavy Target Loads Shotshells - 20 Gauge - #7.5 Shot  AAH207

I'll shoot them against the game loads and see how they look.  Why does a guy always end up with more shells than expected??  haha

Bingo. Great choice.

Full_Fan

Thanks again for all the helpful advice from everybody.

Full_Fan

Well youth hunt was last weekend and I took my 9 year old daughter out for her first hunt Saturday morning.  Had a blind all set up with heater, blanket, chairs, and enough snacks to last a couple hours at least.  My goal was (1) to hear some gobbling and (2) hopefully see any turkey.  Low and behold one lit up a quarter mile away on our walk in... checked #1 goal off the list before we even got in the blind.  Took a good 10 minutes to get everything just right in the blind after I got all the decoys out... wow is there A LOT you take for granted from years of running and gunning the way I usually hunt.  After getting everything adjusted and correct heights and comfortable and everything else, I hit the call and it was game on.  15 minutes later not 1 but 2 barrel strutters came over the ridge looking for some love.  Strutting and gobbling they slowly headed our way.  She wanted to take aim when they were 200 yards out :)  I said relax.  When they hit 75 yards and gobbled, she started breathing real heavy.  She whispered to me she was shaking and really nervous.  I told her to breath deeply.  They got to 35 yards and I told her to shoulder the gun and I slipped muffs over her ears.  They got to 30 yards and I said aim at whatever one you want.  I had to move the shooting sticks and she said she was good.  They started acting a little nervous and knew something was up at 25 yards.  I took the safety off and told her to take a deep breath and aim for the neck.  Boom! One bird jumped and took flight the other jumped and stood there.  She asked did I get him?  I said no but you can try to get that one.  We had to readjust and shoot out of a different window but we got it all set up again and she shot.  That bird jumped and flew as well.  She said did I get that one?  I said nope.  She wasn't upset at all and said that was sooo exciting, that was so much fun.  They looked huge!  Then she said I should call again so they come back :)  We left an hour later with no bird but a great memory.  Every time she tells the story she has a big smile on her face as do I.

Later that afternoon, I put a couple shells in the gun and shot paper in the yard at 30 and 25 yards and yeah, it's wasn't the gun's fault... those Win AA 7 1/2's made a pretty little pattern.

BandedSpur

Sorry she didn't get one, but sounds like you had a great hunt. I bet she is hooked. Just out of curiosity, did you ever count to see what kind of numbers those Winch AAs do at 25 and 30?

Muzzy61

Thanks for sharing her hunt with us. Sounds like she had a blast.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Full_Fan

Quote from: BandedSpur on April 16, 2020, 08:00:47 AM
Sorry she didn't get one, but sounds like you had a great hunt. I bet she is hooked. Just out of curiosity, did you ever count to see what kind of numbers those Winch AAs do at 25 and 30?

Don't remember off the top of my head by they were over 100 at 25 and right around 100 or a little under at 30.  I'd have to look at the paper.