turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Favorite Wild Game to Eat??

Started by Tetelestai, March 29, 2020, 02:31:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tetelestai

I know everyone is different but what is the best tasting wild game you have tried? Some people may be limited by the game species in their geography, but nothing brings people together like food. My favorites have been smoked duck breast wrapped in bacon, fried doves (grannies recipe), deer/elk blackstrap. What are your favs, let's see some pics if you have them.

guesswho

Quail or turkey.   Pretty close
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Happy hooker

Big Guy

Axis deer.  Only had it once but damn it was good

Tetelestai

Locally sponsored "Wild game dinners" are a great way to try out something new. I've always wanted to try chukar, mountain goat, bighorn sheep, but not a lot of opportunities in my area of the country.

jgard

Chris O

I like a lot of different things if cooked the right way but I sure like a fresh batch of crappies, they are always great.

Tetelestai

Agree. Caught about 25 after the morning hunt this weekend and they were outstanding.

TonyTurk

RED NECK

grouse is definitely my favorite but I also like walleye and bass fillets with it.
Browning'...."The Best There Is"

Austin 3:16...........

Sixes

I enjoy a lot of different game.

I love fresh black sea bass and sea trout.

Turtle stew is top notch.

But overall, I think my absolute favorite is cubed, battered and fried deer meat with gravy

Rapscallion Vermilion

That's really tough to narrow down.  Turkey, pheasant, grouse, quail, and rabbit immediately come to mind as being really reliable, easy to cook, not too hard to come by, and the whole family likes.

Some of our favorite wild game dishes with pics, in order of increasing rarity:

Buffalo style turkey nuggets

Duck leg confit with pasta. (mallard and pintail here)

Canvasback fillet pan seared in duck fat

Yucatan style javelina  (Cochinita Pibil) - this one surprised us with just how good it was

Sandhill crane (ribeye of the sky!) is truly outstanding, but I don't have any pics.  I've been gifted caribou and antelope in the past and that has also been excellent.  Favorite wild caught fish are walleye and silver salmon. 

Tetelestai

I know who I want to share a table with. All those look amazing. I'm definitely going to try the buffalo turkey nuggets and a variation of the duck dishes. There are so many different preparations then just grilled or fried game that most never think about. Traditional preparations are always great, but it's great to see people Changing things up. Looks great!

owlhoot

Got to say crappie. Chukar is always good , like two different dark and white meat at once.
Fried wild turkey is always good.

bobk

Quote from: Rapscallion Vermilion on March 29, 2020, 03:24:42 PM
That's really tough to narrow down.  Turkey, pheasant, grouse, quail, and rabbit immediately come to mind as being really reliable, easy to cook, not too hard to come by, and the whole family likes.

Some of our favorite wild game dishes with pics, in order of increasing rarity:

Buffalo style turkey nuggets

Duck leg confit with pasta. (mallard and pintail here)

Canvasback fillet pan seared in duck fat

Yucatan style javelina  (Cochinita Pibil) - this one surprised us with just how good it was

Sandhill crane (ribeye of the sky!) is truly outstanding, but I don't have any pics.  I've been gifted caribou and antelope in the past and that has also been excellent.  Favorite wild caught fish are walleye and silver salmon. 

WOW,  those are some great looking dishes.  Actually all the meals in this post sound great.