only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Watch your step

Started by Spitten and drummen, March 27, 2020, 07:01:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaLongbeard

Quote from: sasquatch1 on April 08, 2020, 05:20:13 PM
Quote from: LaLongbeard on April 08, 2020, 05:01:41 PM
Big Moccasin laying in the trail I walked down in the dark.
Coral snake eating another smaller snake when I walked up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Where the hell did you find a coral snake? I kept having to look and make sure it wasn't a California king

Mississippi. It's been probably 20 years since I've seen one in La.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

sasquatch1

Hell I've never seen one.

tha bugman

Happy hooker

Here in Minnesota im not gonna complain anymore about dealing with occasional snow in the mourning

TravisB

I believe that's just a common Watersnake, not a moccasin.

LaLongbeard

Yep...good catch. Most people can't tell the difference and the poor water snake takes a beating for looking like the moccasin. I was wondering how many southern boys could tell them apart. My brother and myself always laughed at our old man every snake he saw was a "cotton mouth" lol

Sir-diealot

I have always thought Coral Snakes were very very pretty. Look a lot like the Milk Snakes we have here in NY I know there is some saying or rhyme to tell them apart, something to do with the rings I think but I do not recall it.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

TravisB

Yeah, if my dad sees a snake around water, it's a moccasin. Here's a nice one from bow season a few years ago.

TravisB

A baby cottonmouth. Looks similar to a copperhead.

TravisB

A copperhead that almost made it into my turkey vest.

Sir-diealot

If any of you guys happen to tan them after you kill them I am trying to finds some to put on an old Ben Pearson Cougar I have. Contact me if you have anything please.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

LaLongbeard

Quote from: Sir-diealot on April 08, 2020, 07:29:38 PM

I have always thought Coral Snakes were very very pretty. Look a lot like the Milk Snakes we have here in NY I know there is some saying or rhyme to tell them apart, something to do with the rings I think but I do not recall it.
Red on yellow will kill a fellow, is the one I've heard. Very rare and mostly stay under leaves or logs so you don't see them much. I've only seen a few in my lifetime. Best to leave them be I've heard the US no longer makes the anti-venom for coral snakes

Sir-diealot

Quote from: LaLongbeard on April 08, 2020, 07:35:09 PM
Quote from: Sir-diealot on April 08, 2020, 07:29:38 PM

Red on yellow will kill a fellow, is the one I've heard. Very rare and mostly stay under leaves or logs so you don't see them much. I've only seen a few in my lifetime. Best to leave them be I've heard the US no longer makes the anti-venom for coral snakes
That may well be it, thanks. I have not heard the saying since the 70's or 80's when I was young. Have only seen 2 of the milk snakes in my life that I recall. Edit: added a picture of a Milk Snake

John Koenig:

Cut N Run

I got bit by a copperhead in my garage.  It had rained for a few days and my garage was the closest dry "cave" to the creek behind the house.  It hit my rubber boot & went through, but the boot was away from my leg and my skin didn't get punctured.

I've run into quite a few copperheads turkey & deer hunting. During bow season I used to hang my lunch in a tree on the way in at a bluff overlooking Parker's Creek in the Big Woods, then sit at the base of a big oak atop the bluff to eat it on my way to my evening stand.  One day as I was getting ready to sit down between the roots, something made me look closer.  There was a coiled 30 inch copperhead right where I was about to sit.  I skewered him with an arrow and had my lunch on a big rock instead.

We don't have many rattlesnakes or moccasins in this part of the state, though I had run-ins with pygmy and timber rattlesnakes that sounded off, so I avoided them. I thought the pygmy was some kind of insect buzzing until I saw it.

Moccasins are the most aggressive snakes I've ever encountered in the U.S.. They know they're bad@SS and won't hesitate to come at you. I was going fishing with a couple other guys off Currituck Sound up by Knotts Island when we came across a VW bug stopped part way across into the other lane.  We got out to ask the woman driving if she'd had trouble.  It turned out there was a huge moccasin in the road (probably sunning) challenging the vehicle.  We grabbed boat oars, had her drive across the snake, then we wailed on the snake as it tried to escape.  It was 5'2" in length, had 2 inch fangs, and was as big around as a motorcycle tire.  Definitely the stuff nightmares are made of.  I couldn't imagine coming across that dude in the dark in the turkey woods...or any other time really.

Watch your step & be safe out there.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

LaLongbeard

Quote from: Cut N Run on April 08, 2020, 07:37:54 PM
I got bit by a copperhead in my garage.  It had rained for a few days and my garage was the closest dry "cave" to the creek behind the house.  It hit my rubber boot & went through, but the boot was away from my leg and my skin didn't get punctured.

I've run into quite a few copperheads turkey & deer hunting. During bow season I used to hang my lunch in a tree on the way in at a bluff overlooking Parker's Creek in the Big Woods, then sit at the base of a big oak atop the bluff to eat it on my way to my evening stand.  One day as I was getting ready to sit down between the roots, something made me look closer.  There was a coiled 30 inch copperhead right where I was about to sit.  I skewered him with an arrow and had my lunch on a big rock instead.

We don't have many rattlesnakes or moccasins in this part of the state, though I had run-ins with pygmy and timber rattlesnakes that sounded off, so I avoided them. I thought the pygmy was some kind of insect buzzing until I saw it.

Moccasins are the most aggressive snakes I've ever encountered in the U.S.. They know they're bad@SS and won't hesitate to come at you. I was going fishing with a couple other guys off Currituck Sound up by Knotts Island when we came across a VW bug stopped part way across into the other lane.  We got out to ask the woman driving if she'd had trouble.  It turned out there was a huge moccasin in the road (probably sunning) challenging the vehicle.  We grabbed boat oars, had her drive across the snake, then we wailed on the snake as it tried to escape.  It was 5'2" in length, had 2 inch fangs, and was as big around as a motorcycle tire.  Definitely the stuff nightmares are made of.  I couldn't imagine coming across that dude in the dark in the turkey woods...or any other time really.

Watch your step & be safe out there.

Jim
2" fangs? U sure that wasn't Gaboon Viper here on vacation from Africa, lol