turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Which longbeard xr shells for 3.5" ? 2oz, 2 1/8, #6,#5

Started by Bobby5, March 29, 2020, 01:27:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobby5

For the guys shooting 3.5 longbeards which shells are you shooting?  Im not sure which shells to buy.  #5 or 6#'s  2 oz , or #5 in 2 oz or 2 1/8? What the advantages and disadvantages of each ? About 35 yards is as far as ill shoot if that makes a difference.
Thanks

Tom007

The 2 1/8 load has a speed of 1050 feet per second. The 2 oz load travels 1200. More shot in the 2 1/8 load, but a bit slower. In my experience with both, the pattern almost the same. Both great loads. Can't go wrong with either.......

"Solo hunter"

sbe2#

I shoot the 2 oz load of #6 shot because that's the first load I tried and it patterns amazing. I have tried the 2 1/8 oz #6 and about the only difference I noticed was a little bit more recoil or it was all in my head?!? Either one with the right choke is deadly

Happy

3.5", 2 ounce, #5 shot myself. I am a fan of the extra energy.  Pattern is plenty good for 40 yards.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

a_jabbo

I've been shooting the 2oz #5's for a few years now. 1) being because they pattern well with my benelli nova 2) I guess I like the extra fps. My buddy shoots the same but he likes #6's. I honestly don't think you can go wrong with either, just depends on which one patterns better for you and at 35 yards, it will be lights out.

Buckman18

Depends what your gun/choke combo likes best.

One of mine likes 1 3/4 #5 LBs best, another likes the 1 7/8 better.

Another thought is if you're limiting yourself to 35 and under, I'd stick with grey box Super X's.

Southernson13

You can find my pattern in the mossy board. Magnums patterned slightly better for me and I like having more pellets. I choose #5 for energy retention at range just in case you hit him with the edge of the pattern or something.

G squared 23

Didn't see a lot of difference in 5s or 6s, so I shoot 3.5" 5s for LBs. 

Another 3" gun I tried 5s and 6s and the 6s gave a much better pattern.  So ya never know, I'd buy two difference boxes, and stick with whatever works better for this year.  Then next year buy another box and compare and repeat.  With lead, that won't be too spendy.  This year I tried Nitros and the Kent turkey load and compared them to the Longbeards, and both were acceptable to 30 yards, but were bad at 35+.  It was a fun lil experiment, I know exactly how my gun is shooting (thankfully all loads had the same POI/POA), and have lots of confidence going into this season.