only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

slate calls "the good and the bad"

Started by dzsmith, March 24, 2020, 12:17:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg Massey

Quote from: HookedonHooks on March 24, 2020, 08:41:30 PM
Quote from: Greg Massey on March 24, 2020, 12:56:07 PM
I will add this , some people CAN build good pot calls , and LOT of builders think , they can build good sounding pot calls .. Words of Wisdom...

Quote from: Greg Massey on February 15, 2020, 11:58:51 AM
For the last two day's at the NWTF, i heard as good of pot call's, that a person could play in the 50 - 100 dollar price range , just as good if not better than some of these 350 dollar pot call's that posted for sale .. I'm telling you a lot of these builders are matching these guy's in building great pot calls .. and i'm sure a lot of other people at the show , saw the same thing i did , in the quality of these other builders.

So last month it was LOTS of guys building GREAT pots, now it's just some can build them as implying it's only a few guys? Not throwing any shade here, because I agree with last months sentiment, more guys than ever are building an absolutely jam up call.
I really don't care what you throw , lot of good pot call builders , and some not so good ..

HookedonHooks

Quote from: Greg Massey on March 24, 2020, 09:00:00 PM
I will add this , some people CAN build good pot calls , and LOT of builders think , they can build good sounding pot calls .. Words of Wisdom...
I really don't care what you throw , lot of good pot call builders , and some not so good ..
I thought it was SOME guys can build a good pot, and LOTS think they can build one? Pick a story and sick to it.

There's no question more guys than ever are building a better pot than ever. I just don't see the need to hype it up last month like you can get a great pot from about anybody, then turn around and act like there's more builders out there selling calls that are something they're not than there are good builders.

Greg Massey

Quote from: HookedonHooks on March 24, 2020, 09:26:57 PM
Quote from: Greg Massey on March 24, 2020, 09:00:00 PM
I thought it was SOME guys can build a good pot, and LOTS think they can build one? Pick a story and sick to it.

There's no question more guys than ever are building a better pot than ever. I just don't see the need to hype it up last month like you can get a great pot from about anybody, then turn around and act like there's more builders out there selling calls that are something they're not than there are good builders.
Whatever you think.. but again i don't care what you think..

mudhen

Slate over glass is my main call...don't use any crystal calls...none...

The last 50 or so pot calls I've bought have been repeat purchases...

Maybe I'm tone-def, but I cannot imagine anyone thinking calls from Pat Strawser, Wendell Rye, Andy Kaiser, and many more, are dull and unrealistic sounding...
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

HookedonHooks

Greg Massey

Hey that's awesome , thank you for the complement ...

HookedonHooks

Rick Howard

I lean towards raw aluminum.  I like them all though.

dzsmith

Quote from: mudhen on March 24, 2020, 10:01:06 PM

Maybe I'm tone-def, but I cannot imagine anyone thinking calls from Pat Strawser, Wendell Rye, Andy Kaiser, and many more, are dull and unrealistic sounding...
now I haven't tried any of those. everybody and there mother builds custom calls now or what they call "custom" there are so many makers who simply buy preturned pots and glue them together its unreal.....Ive always figured good ones existed, I just haven't ran into one I thought was spectacular. The more I play the red slate the more I like it. I took it outside this morning, and its definelty better than my others. Is it dull.....kinda...but not as bad as the others. The call seems a little on the heavy side . It appears to be a little to dense for me, but im liking it enough to take to the woods. it takes more effort to run than say my glass....which is unorthodox I know....but it is what it is.
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

callmakerman

Love a nice grey slate call. Love the old school hen talk that comes from it and the soft talk. I don't think there's anything said here that will change your mind though. Bottom line if you like the sound of a glass call go for it . You'll hunt it more and be happy doing it. Green slate over glass or aluminum may be close to what your looking for sound wise but I feel the glass will run easier. Me I'm not a glass call guy and will seldom run one in the woods. I have plenty that I have built that sound great just don't like that I seem to spend to much time roughing them up to call. Slate is always ready to be used. I also like the bare aluminum over glass in my micarta pot for the same reason. Hunt the glass and be happy. If slate is not your thing so be it.

Footballer

Quote from: dzsmith on March 25, 2020, 08:18:56 PM

now I haven't tried any of those. everybody and there mother builds custom calls now or what they call "custom" there are so many makers who simply buy preturned pots and glue them together its unreal.....Ive always figured good ones existed, I just haven't ran into one I thought was spectacular. The more I play the red slate the more I like it. I took it outside this morning, and its definelty better than my others. Is it dull.....kinda...but not as bad as the others. The call seems a little on the heavy side . It appears to be a little to dense for me, but im liking it enough to take to the woods. it takes more effort to run than say my glass....which is unorthodox I know....but it is what it is.
Where are you seeing all these custom call makers who sell pre-turned pots? You aren't the first person who has said this so I'm just wondering how you know the pots are pre-turned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bbcoach

I have several grey slate over glass pots that sing.  Not sure if it's the way I play them, the wood that is used, the construction, striker or a combo of ALL 4 but the birds love them.  I'm hearing many of you say, I, I, I don't like them for one reason or another.  The proof is with the BIRDS.  I truly understand CONFIDENCE in a call but shouldn't the birds tell us what is a good call or not?  This means hunting that call and hunting it more than once to see THEIR REACTIONS.  Just saying.

dzsmith

Quote from: Footballer on March 27, 2020, 08:31:32 AM
Quote from: dzsmith on March 25, 2020, 08:18:56 PM

well for one...you can ask some of them who do and they'll tell you. Also I cant remember the name of the place where you buy the material. but they sell everything precut glass, slate, preturned pots. unfinished box calls you name it. Ready to be laser engraved and finished at your choosing. I know several who do this. No im not gonna any of them...you can figure that out. One of my best pots actually is a preturned one glued together by a "custom" call maker. you can literally look at the pot and go straight to the supplier and look at the preturned pots and its the exact same pot....of course im sure many people use the same design, dimension, and orientation of holes. oh yeah....one of my best childhood friends tried to start a call company once and guess what he did. He bought the unfinished premade box kits from this same supplier. got his logo engraved, and sealed the call. walla...a custom call. not to say it didn't sound good or look good...but there was nothing custom about it. I help another friend of mine make box calls, everything on the call is made by hand except the screw....we even make our own springs!!!!
Where are you seeing all these custom call makers who sell pre-turned pots? You aren't the first person who has said this so I'm just wondering how you know the pots are pre-turned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

Spitten and drummen

Im in the minority here I guess. I have been hunting these birds for a long long time and I still use a gray slate along with all the other surfaces. I have a persimmon and a zebrawood gray slate from Eddie Wynne that flat kills birds. I also have a cody world class and a platz cherry that would be hard pressed to be beat. I will say this , Gray slate has been killing turkeys since someone started scraping on one. Now every call has its days. Does not matter how good it sounds to me , what matters is how the birds like it.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE