turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Trigger help

Started by Fredmngs, March 26, 2020, 04:44:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fredmngs

Anyone change the trigger on a Winchester sxp 20 long beard? If so, what company did you use and did it help enough? The trigger on this thing sucks. So heavy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RED NECK

I had to have a gunsmith work on mine,the trigger was a pos brand new from the factory and felt like a 15 lbs trigger.It is a lot better now.He told me it was a headache to work on.The gun shoots nice now and looks great in my locker next to some others.

I would not buy another Winchester sxp as long as I lived because I wouldn't trust another not to have the same issue,I do like the gun after getting it fixed,shoulders well and shoots excellent patterns but any gun can do that with the right shell and choke combo..Good luck with the trigger job.
Browning'...."The Best There Is"

Austin 3:16...........

decoykrvr

I don't know if an aftermarket trigger is available.  One of the most difficult triggers I've ever worked on and a real shame to put such a POS on such a fine turkey gun.  Other than polishing all the contact points, you can only bend the coil spring to release some of the tension which necessitates a difficult reassembly after every tweak.  When everything is done, you end up w/ a trigger similar to that on some AR's, w/ a soft take-up before the final firm trigger break.  I've been able to get several of the triggers to a clean 4 1/2 - 5 lb release after the soft take-up, but I wouldn't undertake another.

Fredmngs

Quote from: decoykrvr on March 26, 2020, 08:02:30 PM
I don't know if an aftermarket trigger is available.  One of the most difficult triggers I've ever worked on and a real shame to put such a POS on such a fine turkey gun.  Other than polishing all the contact points, you can only bend the coil spring to release some of the tension which necessitates a difficult reassembly after every tweak.  When everything is done, you end up w/ a trigger similar to that on some AR's, w/ a soft take-up before the final firm trigger break.  I've been able to get several of the triggers to a clean 4 1/2 - 5 lb release after the soft take-up, but I wouldn't undertake another.
That's all I needed to hear. Thanks for the replies fellas. I'll just leave it as it is. You figure they would make a better one available after everyone's issues but I guess they don't care enough to bother.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RED NECK

I would get a gunsmith to try and work it as best you can,they seem to be hit or miss as some have had no issues.They are a really nice handling gun.It's too bad they have piss poor quality control on their triggers.
Browning'...."The Best There Is"

Austin 3:16...........

SOCOM304

Give Rob Roberts a call. His shop is known for tuning up triggers on turkey guns.

decoykrvr

If you are pressed for time before turkey season, take a 20 gauge snap-cap or an empty 20 gauge hull (place 2-4 layers of masking tape or a single piece of duct tape over the primer to cushion the firing pin) and repeatedly cycle and activate the trigger.  It helps to trim off @ 1" off of the hull to facilitate insertion into the chamber and replace the tape as necessary.  Sometimes this repeated action will remove any metal burrs and smooth out the trigger.  No guarantees, but it's better than nothing.  FYI/ the YouTube instructions on disassembly of the SXP trigger is for a 12 gauge which is slightly different than the 20 gauge.