OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What makes a striker different

Started by mtns2hunt, March 21, 2020, 12:50:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mtns2hunt

This may not be the most original post but what makes a striker from one call maker different from others. To hear some on this forum speak about strikers from certain call makers you would think they were talking about the Holy Grail.

I have a dozen strikers that I carry in a roll up in the field and they never fail to get a response from turkeys. They really sound good but I don't have a clue who made them. I do admit I am more like a bull in a china shop. I only care about what works and if I don't like it it gets discarded. So whats the deal?
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Sir-diealot

For me the two things that matter most are first sound and then comfort in my hand. The sound part can be easier with me because I broke my hands and wrists when I was in a car that hit a tree at 90MPH back in 1988 and I have problems with my hands so comfort is something that I really have to be sure of. I had been buying a lot of Stuckey strikers because I both like the sound and the fit. Jeff from  JLH recently made me some strikers where he made them a little thicker in diameter than he would normally make and man they feel great in my hands and I enjoy the sound. I am getting an Ipe from him when I get paid again.

As far as what makes a striker great from what I have learned and I still have a lot to learn the quality of the wood used, the type of wood used, the weight of the striker, the shape of the striker and quite frankly the opinion of the person playing it.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Greg Massey

Turning strikers is art , just like building good sounding pot call's. You try to match the striker to the pot call, different surfaces like different woods and some will like more than one wood. Some call builders and striker builders just have that magic touch and better edge over others in building fine strikers , that will pretty much play on anything , just like Clay Townsend he has the skills and the talent in building strikers , that others don't have in running consistent on most surfaces.

Buckrub

For me, I look for design and balance. The quality of the specific wood and of course, how it plays on various surfaces. 

West Augusta

What makes strikers different?  First the density of the wood.  Second, the weight of the striker,  Third, the balance of the striker,  Fourth, what does a turkey sound like to you.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

mtns2hunt

Quote from: West Augusta on March 21, 2020, 07:41:24 AM
What makes strikers different?  First the density of the wood.  Second, the weight of the striker,  Third, the balance of the striker,  Fourth, what does a turkey sound like to you.

Right, but all makers have access to the same woods, can adjust the weight of the striker and work to get the balance right. I would also imagine that many strikers get thrown away or recycled if they don't have that Turkey sound. Not everyone makes that perfect striker each time. So from what I am reading from you and others is that the results are subjective rather than objective.

I think that I may be over thinking this subject. I look at strikers objectively and am results driven. If I call in a Turkey I mark the Striker and use more frequently. Over time I have acquired a pile of strikers that have brought in good responses.

chuckward

A lot of it has to do with the way you run a call. I've noticed that I prefer a 2 piece striker. I've bought a bunch of the mentioned fancy one piece and always hunt with a 2 piece straight tipped striker. I've got 3 two piece ebony strikers from halloran that can't be bought. Some of the old two piece Rutland strikers will make a call sing aslo

Chris O

For me it's how well they grip the surfaces and of course sound. They don't have to be the fancy designs to please me in fact sometimes they have too much going on looks wise. I have both flare tips and straight tips that I like. I usually like a heavier striker over a lighter one as well. I usually prefer 1 pc strikers over 2 pc but sometimes those 2 pc one's sound really good. If I could only have 2 wood strikers they would be Osage and bloodwood and I always have to have a carbon fiber striker to run in wet conditions.

Terry

I have come to the conclusion that strikers are as personal as any other kind of call including mouth calls. I have tried some from big names I couldn't even get to play on any surface. I've also tried some from other makers that worked but just weren't consistent with my technique. You have to try different ones and find what works. I have a striker maker now that makes all my strikers. I own several from this maker in many different woods. My thought is no matter what call/striker I grab there is a consistency to how I'm playing which will ultimately make me better.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

HookedonHooks

Difference between strikers of the same wood is grain structure and balance.

A well made and balanced striker anyone should be able to run, but finding that perfect striker or one that just has "it" is more a personal preference of finding the right one for yourself.

M,Yingling

don't have much to add what everyone else said ,, but when u get good striker runs good  always pay attention how tip is shaped ,, over time u my change  shape from conditioning  unknowingly ,, and wood same name  varies greatly from tree to tree ,,  sometimes board to board
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

mtns2hunt

Quote from: M,Yingling on March 22, 2020, 12:02:17 PM
don't have much to add what everyone else said ,, but when u get good striker runs good  always pay attention how tip is shaped ,, over time u my change  shape from conditioning  unknowingly ,, and wood same name  varies greatly from tree to tree ,,  sometimes board to board

Basically what I was thinking. All makers can turn out good and bad strikers. I know woods vary and this can impact quality. The way you use a striker and call can also have an impact. There can even be variances between users operating the same striker. This is probably the reason I have a trash can full of strikers always trying to find just that one. As I mentioned I have a roll of 12 that goes into the field with me. These 12 frequently get changed out as I try different striker and pot combinations.

I am sure there are many makers turning out great strikers and I am sure many individuals have their favorite maker. My intention is not to  disparage anyone I just have a need to understand how things work or tick. I don't believe in taking things by faith. Now that I know much of this is subjective I feel I am on the right track by trying out different woods and makers. I still have a long way to go. Thank you for the feed back.