OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Your best/favorite old school turkey load/choke combo

Started by Borden811, March 20, 2020, 07:37:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Borden811

Going a different direction from my benelli m2 with an aimpoint sight and tss 9s this year just for fun, and something to kill my time during the "quarantine". I picked up an old 21" barreled 870 magnum. Also picked up a used shurshot stock set for cheap, and did some hacksaw and dremel work on it. Next I'm going to paint it as soon as the paint I ordered gets delivered. Planning on shooting just the beads, and keeping it old school with the choke and loads. I've got a Remington straight rifled choke, an original jelly head, and I'm on the hunt for a ventilator choke. As far as loads I have some old white hevishot 6s, some even older black hulled hevishot 5s and some old Winchester high velocity 6s. I'm looking for some old federal blue and gold box 3" shells as well. All that being said, what was your favorite go to load and choke combo from years gone by?

paboxcall

Winchester Supreme 3", red hull #5s with a Hastings .660 choke tube. That load walloped on both ends.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

EZ

I still hunt with my old 870 with fixed full choke 26"barrel. It always liked 2 full oz. of lead and Federals most specific. Both my sons have the 21" barrels and TruGlo chokes. Not sure of the restrictions, but they both like the Winchester Extremes 1 7/8 oz.

Tom007

In the 90's, there was a shell company called Active. Red box, red shells. They had a 3 inch nickel plated #5 load, 2 oz. They had a special wad that rear deployed and stayed with shot just like the Flite control wad. They are no longer in business, but I got great patterns out of my Benelli SBE with a gobbling thunder 660 choke. It was fantastic......my older favorite. Winchester Extended Range (replaced by Longbeards due to cost) shot extremely well out of my SBE with an Indian Creek ported tube....miss them too.
"Solo hunter"

Borden811

My dad used to have a box of those plastic hulled(even the case head) activ penetrator shells. I'll have to see if he still does. I think I k is where there is a box or two of the old Remington 3" 4x6 duplex loads too that I might pick up.

Tom007

You are correct, weird shell. All plastic, but unreal pattern.. good luck...
"Solo hunter"

trkehunr93

Winchester Supreme HV 3.5" 5's and a Star Dot .676 in my 835.  Hell of a combo! 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aurora Wild

Remington super full and winchester XX 4s. Threw a wicked tight pattern for the time.

Jbird22

3" 2 oz. #6 Federal Premium Copper-plated (gold and blue box) with a Kicks .655 in a Remington SP Turkey 870 with 28" barrel. Killed my first few turkeys with that combo and it hammered em.

surehuntsalot

Mossberg 835
old original .676 stardot choke
Winchester Double XX Magnum 3-1/2" 2-1/4oz#5's
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

lowoctane

:morning:
Rem Super Mag, 23" barrel, Ventilator tube, 3" Long Beard #6. Devastating at 40yds.  :camohat:
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

the Ward

I would say the federal turkey thugs 3" #5s and my Sumtoy .650 are my favorite old school "ish" combo in one of my guns. The other one is the .640 factory xtra full and winchester xx 3" #6s out of my browning upland special bps. Still have a few of the thugs left, will use them up someday !

Spurs Up

Quote from: Tom007 on March 21, 2020, 11:35:07 AM
You are correct, weird shell. All plastic, but unreal pattern.. good luck...

All plastic Activs are still my all-time favorite. I still have a few.

Tom007

Your lucky, those active sure were ahead of their time.........
"Solo hunter"

Fullfan

Active 3" 2 1/4 oz of Nickle plated #6 shot through an MAD Choke.  Still have 3 boxes of the Active shells. Close to 30 years old, 8.99 price tag still on them.
Don't gobble at me...