OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Remington 410 870

Started by scottygun1, March 16, 2020, 07:51:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scottygun1

I took my Remington 410 870 out to the range this past weekend after i had the gun threaded and choked for apex 9.5's by Sumtoy. The patterns were very bad at 35 and 40. I had average 75 pellets at 35 and like 50 at 40. i was using a snake between shots. I hear you guys talking about deep cleaning the barrel. Do you think this would help the patterns? Also not sure what you use to deep clean the barrel. Maybe I need a try new choke.

Ridge Rooster

My Sumtoy is not producing either. Mr. William is supposed to be sending me another to try. I got a Comp N Choke that does okay but from what I have seen the Indian Creeks are turning up the best patterns. If you had yours threaded by Sumtoy with the Modified Winchester system you are stuck with either his choke or a Comp N Choke. They are the only 2 that use these threads so far. Sent Kicks an email asking if they were going to thread for the Sumtoy thread pattern (Modified Winchester) they said that they were going to but not at the time I sent the email, which was about 2 weeks ago. Might shoot them an email to see.

Ridge Rooster
Old School 11-87 + Nitros = Dead Ridge Roosters

scottygun1

I see they have 410 chokes on Kicks website but it says Winchoke. I'm guessing that is a different  thread pattern then the Modified Winchester that Sumtoy uses.

Ridge Rooster

Yes. I emailed them. Comp N Choke actually calls it Sumtoy treads on their web site. Kicks said they were going to thread some for the Sumtoy threads. Send them an email and let us know what they say. They get enough interest I bet they put some out.

Ridge Rooster

scottygun1

Emailed Kicks today waiting for a response.  I order some nitro shells today to try out through the sumtoy choke. Do you know the constriction of the sumtoy?

Ridge Rooster

No I do not. May try and measure it tomorrow. Gonna shoot some more 410's and see if I found a decent load to hunt with.

Ridge Rooster

ShootingABN!

Quote from: scottygun1 on March 16, 2020, 07:51:27 PM
I took my Remington 410 870 out to the range this past weekend after i had the gun threaded and choked for apex 9.5's by Sumtoy. The patterns were very bad at 35 and 40. I had average 75 pellets at 35 and like 50 at 40. i was using a snake between shots. I hear you guys talking about deep cleaning the barrel. Do you think this would help the patterns? Also not sure what you use to deep clean the barrel. Maybe I need a try new choke.

Deep clean the barrel with denatured alcohol. Run a bunch of soaking wet patches thru. Then dry out.

So I just cleaned my new barrel with regular cleaner, until patches came out clean. However with the denatured alcohol it pulled out stuff out.

I don't have it anymore. Sweets 7.62 will clean the barrel of any shotgun on rifle better than anything in the world. I has ammonia in it and will rust the barrel out if you don't get it out after cleaning and then reoil.

William told me to do the deep clean of the barrel. I just and two surgery on my intestine. So I really can't shoot it. However I really want this gun/barrel combo to shoot better. 

southpaw

How did it shoot before you had it threaded? Mine is the factory full. With reloads, #9 shot, it puts ~150 in the 10" at 40 yards.

Have you tried 9.5 shot? My 301T would put about 110 of the #9 shot in the 10" but I switched it to #9.5 shot and I get 150 in the 10" at 40. I tried the #9.5 shot out of the 870 and I was still hitting 150.

Can't say I did a deep cleaning. Just ran the brush down them several times and then ran a bore snake between shots.