OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Did some real quick testing this morning....

Started by JUGHEAD, May 11, 2011, 01:00:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JUGHEAD

Shot a couple of Hevi-13 3" #7's and Federal HW 3" 7's through my son's new youth 870 with the 21" barrel and a RSF .570 choke this morning before work.  Only shot at 30 yards with the plain bead and had no idea what to expect.  The POI was just a little high with both rounds, but dead nuts on windage.  The Hevi-13 put 221 pellets in a 10" circle from 30 yards and the HW put 147 in a 10" circle from the same distance.  Gonna do a little follow up turkey aiming class tonight via online images with my 10 year old and try my best to get him his first turkey either tomorrow or Friday before the TN season goes out.  Even though it has put me in a pickle as far as time goes, I'm tickled to death that he FINALLY chose the shotgun for his 10th birthday present instead of holding on to the possibility of getting a dirtbike.  I think seeing ol Dad slam a few birds pushed him over the edge.  ;D

gophert

That Hevi/RSF combo will kill a turkey all day long!  Put him a knoxx stock on it and he will never outgrow the gun.   :you_rock:

goblr77

That's a nice little rig you have there. Good luck!

R AJ

I personally love that POI/POA as one can aim just above the beard or carnucles/feathers area and put em where it counts. It should be a great gun for him.

Be safe and good hunting.

surehuntsalot

congrats on the gun,he will enjoy many seasons with it
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

WyoHunter

If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

NorthGaHunter

Quote from: RAJ on May 11, 2011, 04:31:26 PM
I personally love that POI/POA as one can aim just above the beard or carnucles/feathers area and put em where it counts. It should be a great gun for him.

Be safe and good hunting.

I used to like my POI/POA to be a little high but I believe that caused most of my misses in the past.  If you don't keep your head down, then the pattern is going to be even higher.  Also if one spooks and you have to take a quick shot...then your pattern is not going to be where you are aiming.  I now want my pattern to be centered where I am aiming.