OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Watkins trumpet?

Started by rdlewis77, March 11, 2020, 10:34:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rdlewis77

Does Marlin Watkins still make trumpets?  I see stuff about his boxes all over the place, but I never see much about his trumpets.  Just looking for some info on them.
Thanks for any information.

-Ray

wchadw

Yes as of last year he still was... Watkins adjustable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EZ

Yes, Marlin makes a nice, easy to run trumpet.

Southerngobbler

He just sold one the other day on ebay. It went for almost $700. He doesn't keep a list anymore for the box calls. In the description on the trumpet on ebay he wrote that he was selling it on ebay so everyone would have a chance to buy it.

KentuckyHeadhunter

He once told me they were his nemesis.  He makes only a few every year I think.  I was able to get one at Unicoi a few years ago.  Unbelievable trumpet!  Was shocked to see how high the one on ebay fetched.
Loyal Member of the Tenth Legion

wchadw

i was on his list for awhile.  think i got 2 or 3 boxes before he said something about the trumpet list.  its nice.  i like the adjustable and it has a different sorta triangular shaped mouthpiece.

2nd 100

Mr Marlin only builds 8 to 10 trumpets a year , all are adjustable these days . He has told me numerous times that a box call is a challenge to get what you want out of a piece of wood and that Trumpets are a mechanical deal , make the dimensions the same and you always turn out a good trumpet , so in his description they are not about skill , just repeating measurements with tight tolerances. I am sure this is after you decide which measurements work best for you and this is where the learning curve is !
Then we have to learn a musical instrument to get the sounds we want out of one .

chefrific

Picked this Watkins up back in December from another member. Snakewood and Blackwood. Both a wing bone and I'm guessing delrin mouthpiece.  It's a cool little "trumpet".
Adjusting the stem definitely changes the tone, but personally I prefer just a good traditional wood trumpet.  This thing is a little gadgety to me. 

Greg Massey

Quote from: chefrific on March 14, 2020, 10:19:18 AM
Picked this Watkins up back in December from another member. Snakewood and Blackwood. Both a wing bone and I'm guessing delrin mouthpiece.  It's a cool little "trumpet".
Adjusting the stem definitely changes the tone, but personally I prefer just a good traditional wood trumpet.  This thing is a little gadgety to me. 

Those are really nice. Lot of great history in those trumpets.