turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

SBEII Jellyhead 0.668" made for Nitro Company with pattern results

Started by drenalinld, May 10, 2011, 10:29:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drenalinld

Has anyone tried this choke Promos makes for Nitro Company? Also, has anyone tried the H-517R load that Nitro developed for the SBEII? I'm not sure a load can be designed around a gun model b/c each gun performs differently, but I have to try it. I should let you know this weekend of results

Waddle Whacker

I've used that same combo, JH .668 from Nitro, and 517-r's out of an extrema 2 and get around 280 in 10" at 40 yds., which is on the low end of what they told me to expect but still a great pattern.  I also tried the load through a JH .660 and a .665(I think) Carlsons. The Carlsons actually gave me the best pattern and biggest numbers, averaging about 315 for 3 shots. The JH .660 was not impressive at all in my gun. I think the .668 is definitely worth trying for $50.

Waddle Whacker

Nitro recommended that choke to me when I first emailed them. I searched the Internet for hours looking for it and finally emailed them back, thinking it may have been a typo. They replied promptly and apologized for the confusion and told me that primos had made the .668 for them and they were the only ones that had them. When I talked to them, that was the choke they really recommended for that load, and told me if I didn't like how it shot I could return it for a full refund. The choke is definitely a JH, looking identical to my .660 JH in every aspect, but marked .668. That's all I know about it, haven't actually talked with anyone at primos.

drenalinld

Same story here. The lady at Nitro told me about it. Said she would send it for $50 and if I was not happy, I could return it for a full refund. She also told me it was only available through them. I doubt Primos makes any chokes. I would guess that the choke manufacturer that makes them for Primos modified it for Nitro???

goblr77

Quote from: drenalinld on May 12, 2011, 07:51:48 AM
Same story here. The lady at Nitro told me about it. Said she would send it for $50 and if I was not happy, I could return it for a full refund. She also told me it was only available through them. I doubt Primos makes any chokes. I'm would guess that the choke manufacturer that makes them for Primos modified it for Nitro???

That would be my guess as well.

doepee

I was the one that the lady recommended the .668 choke especially made by primos, and then some guys chimed in and they said that primos has never made a .668 choke for nitro... dont know what was goin on... ???

drenalinld

I plant to post pics of choke and pattern results this weekend. I will also put a caliper in the choke to verify exit ID.

drenalinld

I got the 668 JH in today with the Nitro H-517r shells. I have the gun and choke cleaned to mirror finish. There was to much wind to test this afternoon, but very soon.

BTW the JH has printed on it "primos jelly head 668    SBEII tky". I put my dial caliper in the exit hole and it was exactly 0.668", my PG 670 measured 0.658, and my Rhino 660 measured 0.658".

beagler

Quote from: drenalinld on May 12, 2011, 11:25:30 PM
I got the 668 JH in today with the Nitro H-517r shells. I have the gun and choke cleaned to mirror finish. There was to much wind to test this afternoon, but very soon.
Looking forward to hearing your results. I have a Rhino .660 in my SBE 2 currently.
Never Misses

drenalinld

Shot two of the Nitro H517-R, 2-7/16 oz, #7's through the Jelly Head 0.668" today. The best was 272 in a 10" circle at 40 yards. Disappointed in the Nitro loads. I got better results with the hevi-7's. Just to compare, I shot one of the Nitro loads through my Rhino 0.660. I got 260 with it. I am going with the hevi-7's and the 0.670" Pure Gold that yielded a nice even 20" pattern and 290's in the 10" It's just gonna be in the blind as a backup for my Mathews on a NE and KS trip.

drenalinld

I couldn't get more that 160 - 180 with the H51013a triplex load. Didn't try it in straight 7's.

drenalinld

I also found it interesting that the wad bounced off of the target hard with both shots through the Jelly Head.

drenalinld

Were you shooting those H51013a rounds through a .655-.660 or the .668?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[/quote]
I have only tried them through the Rhino 0.660" so far.

drenalinld

10-4, slick. What choke do you shoot? I have a friend with a JH 0.660". I will give it a try with the 51013's. I think I am going to try them in straight 7's also.

Britton40

Quote from: drenalinld on May 17, 2011, 08:43:17 AM
I couldn't get more that 160 - 180 with the H51013a triplex load. Didn't try it in straight 7's.

Same here.  Browning Silver (JH 670) and Mossberg 835 (star dot, Kicks 675 and 680) were in that range.  I going to try something in the 690s with the 835 before I give up.  The H510C is awesome in the Silver and almost as good in the Mossberg.  Again, something in the 690s will probably be the ticket.