turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Wingbone kee kee

Started by Here turkey turkey turkey, March 11, 2020, 01:47:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Here turkey turkey turkey

Can someone please explain to me how to make a kee kee call on a wingbone?

Thanks
To disarm the people...Is the most effectual way to enslave them."
- George Mason, referencing advice given to the British Parliament by Pennsylvania governor Sir William Keith, The Debates in the Several State Conventions on the Adooption of the Federal Constitution, June 14, 1788

davisd9

Quick, short bursts of air with some of barrel closed off.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

EZ

I wish I knew how to do a sound file.
When you practice yelping, you should have two distinct notes. This first "high" note rolling over to the end note. A good way to practice is to slow down and concentrate on getting and holding that first high note. Keeeeeeeee.....keeeeeeeeeeee. Once you have that, just speed it up a bit, Kee, kee, kee.

I run the kee kee the same as I run a yelp.....smooth, controlled air flow.

gergg

What EZ said.....I will just add that for me it was about closing down the barrel/air flow almost all the way, then slowly allowing more air until I figured out what worked for me in that particular instrument.
https://www.gwaltneygamecalls.com/

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls
2022 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call (Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 2nd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF Grand Nationals - 3rd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF S.E. Call Makers Contest - 4th Place Trumpet Calls

sbbow

I have always wonder how to do this . I don't fall hunt to busy chasing 4 legged animals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davisd9

Quote from: sbbow on March 11, 2020, 08:11:50 AM
I have always wonder how to do this . I don't fall hunt to busy chasing 4 legged animals.

Never fall hunted and now the importance of the call in situations.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

sbbow

Quote from: davisd9 on March 11, 2020, 08:21:36 AM

Yep why not is there a rule that I missed. That says I have to kee kee. Just don't see the importance to it since o don't fall hunt. To me that's when the kee kee is used although some use in the spring.

davisd9

Quote from: sbbow on March 11, 2020, 08:27:47 AM
Quote from: davisd9 on March 11, 2020, 08:21:36 AM

Yep why not is there a rule that I missed. That says I have to kee kee. Just don't see the importance to it since o don't fall hunt. To me that's when the kee kee is used although some use in the spring.

I used to be in the same boat.

EZ

Hey Steve, don't tell anybody this "secret", but I kee kee the heck out of spring birds!! It's killer!!

gergg

Quote from: EZ on March 11, 2020, 09:43:28 AM

Hey Steve, don't tell anybody this "secret", but I kee kee the heck out of spring birds!! It's killer!!
Me too, killed my first Spring bird by kee-keeing in 1978.
https://www.gwaltneygamecalls.com/

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls
2022 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call (Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 2nd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF Grand Nationals - 3rd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF S.E. Call Makers Contest - 4th Place Trumpet Calls

crow

On youtube------ Marlin Watkins (3 part series), Del Crow (2 part series), Ralph Permar 20 some minute video and Kenny Morgan (Spanish Dagger), all describe and show what they do for the Kee Kee.

from whats been described in this thread and and in those videos, some method you hear explained should click for you.

As Tony mentioned, holding the low note and the high note for as long as you can is a very good exercise
to do when your practicing. It should help with everything not just Kee's.

just like learning to play a musical instrument, you run scales and other drills that helps you put it all together when you go to play music.

sbbow

Seems I learned something new! Would have never dreamed of kee keeping in the spring time.

Pluffmud

Nooooo the secret is out!
Psalm 46:10