OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

CZ Bobwhite?

Started by GuideGun, February 29, 2020, 06:02:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GuideGun

Anyone here ever mess with a CZ Bobwhite in either 28 gauge or .410? I have a .410 on hold at a shop and considering buying it. It is the first generation series. No chokes but I'm betting it could be threaded, the barrels are pretty thick on the end of the barrels. Also considering a 28 gauge of the current production 2nd generation.

Any experiences with this model?
Matt

DocHolliday

I've done both plus 20's. There are some subtleties about that .410 that might make you pull your hair out! It's not as simple as just threading it. Briley can do it but you'll spend a bunch and when you're done you have a 7/8 oz shooting gun.

The 28 is already threaded and you can shoot 1-5/8 oz out if it!

GuideGun

Yeah I understand the strong points of going with the 28....but if I wanted to shoot that payload, I would just hunt with my 20 gauge that I already have built.  Was thinking the .410 would be a little different.  Plus it's just so danged small, like handling a little wand.  I don't like that the CZ 28's have their thread pattern, I wish it was threaded for Mobil like the bigger CZ guns.
Matt

shatcher

I picked up a new bobwhite and patterned it over the weekend with trulock chokes and Hal's xl load.  At 25 yards, the left barrel patterned about 4 inches to the left.  The right barrel was 4 inches to the right.  At 40 yards, we're talking 8 inches in either direction.  At 40, I was able to put 235 in a 10 inch circle, which isn't bad.  I really like the feel of the little gun.

4nolz2

Do the new ones come threaded? I have a .410 for Marsh hens great well made gun.

GuideGun if you get yours threaded please post results!

GuideGun

The more I think about this, the more I'm actually leaning towards the 28 gauge over the .410. The weights between the two seem to be within ounces of each other. While the 28 does use Huglu threads, it seems choke makers are willing to make a custom choke for it if you ask.
Matt

DocHolliday

Matt:
Briley and Trulock both make chokes (on the shelf) for these guns. And y are correct on weight. My 28 comes in at 5-1/4 lbs.

GuideGun

Doc,

How hard was it getting the sights set up?  I know you ran a Skinner and Marbles front.  Was it a simple drill and tap for both?  Or was there work required to the rib for it to mount up?
Matt

DocHolliday

Simple drill and tap. I have stopped using the Marbles (too high on last couole). I've used the HiViz comp sight instead

shatcher

Hey Doc, got an 860 flat base on order.  Got the hi viz in the mail today.  Would you post a photo for our gunsmiths?

You the CZ Man!

DocHolliday

Ha!
The HiViz is simple screw bead out screw HiViz in.

GuideGun

Doc,

Ever mount a FF3 or similar small reflex style red dot on these?

Ordering my gun today or tomorrow.  Contemplating Skinner or a FF3.
Matt

DocHolliday

Can be done with some milling of the base you use