OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Nitro hulls sticking in chamber

Started by MS, May 10, 2011, 03:58:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MS

After the shot, 3.5" Nitro Hevi-Shot hulls stick in the chamber of my 870 super magnum and in my Beretta Extrema.  I have to take the barrels off and pry the hull from the chamber.  The unfired rounds chamber fine.  It appears the brass expands during the shot and causes the sticking.  Anyone experience this and if so, do you have an explanation and/or a fix?  Thanks.

Longshanks

Shooting an xtrema:  that was part of the problem with nitros not to mention they were making my point of aim go way off.  The expense (8 to 9 dollars a shell)  wasnt worth it with all of the trouble i was having with the shell. My gunsmith was concerned that a shell could make the point of aim go off that much.  He was thinking it must be an extremely hot shell to cause the multitude of problems. Just made sense to switch to a more economic shell such as Hevi 13.  In my xtrema
Hevi 13  3.5/2.25/7's will shoot 300 pellets in a 10in circle at 40yds.  I noticed with the 4/5/7 nitros most of the holes i was looking at in the paper were 7's. The 4's and 5's were few and far between.  Not to mention the wax problems with the end of the shell. Wax coming off the shell and possibly wax in the reciever,barrel, choke etc.  Now that turkey season is over i bought two boxes of hevi 13 7's for 13.50 each at a store in alabama last night.  I will never pay 8 to 9 dollars a shell again.. :anim_25:

drenalinld

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,9189.0.html

preacher - here is link to a thread where a member on this forum tested Nitro's and found them well above SAAMI

fountain

the 51013 loads do that out of one of my mossys..havent tried the other to see if it will shuck them out or not.  it also does not want to eject te hevi 13 7s tho...so i dont know whats goin on with that gun..if i try to eject bout 2-3 times, it will kick it out then

drenalinld

Admittedly, I don't know that much about shotgun pressures, but with centerfire rifles if the cartridge is hard to extract, I would not shoot that load again.

Could it be some inferior cases?

SumToy

Ok a few thing will make this happen. One is the head space is off. Look to see if it mushroom the rim of shell.  Now not think that is it but could be.  One more is that the chamber is open to big that let's the brass swell so ejector can't get a hold of it.  The other thing is that it is a hot shell that builds a lot of chamber pressure. Then small choke on top of that just add to it.  Now one thing we have found is that a Fiocchi hull will swell up and this is with just plain old bird shot.
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

drenalinld

If it was a head spacing or chamber tolerance issue it should show up with other ammo as well.

SumToy

Quote from: drenalinld on May 10, 2011, 09:08:43 PM
If it was a head spacing or chamber tolerance issue it should show up with other ammo as well.

I think so also just put the things out that will make it happen.  I think the shell is hot. 
Tell us just how dead do you want them to be and we will see if we can get that for you.
Building American made products with American made CNC's and Steel.  Keep all the service Men and Women that gave a LIFE for our FREEDOM a live when you buy American.  God Bless the USA

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

WiLL B

My Benelli handles them fine so far

drenalinld

My Benelli handles them fine, my shoulder not so much.

duckaholic25

I was having the same problem with the hevi 7s 3.5in out of my 835. Got a extractor and spring on the way so hopefully it will fix the problem.

drenalinld

Quote from:  link=topic=9572.msg111896#msg111896 date=1305117955
It's a classic sign of way high chamber pressure.

And it's very common with Nitros. 
Thanks for weighing in Hal. I suspected that, but did not have the shotgun experience to back it up.

SumToy

We have joked in the target world about back yard builders. Not a thing wrong but that we are tuning on a bomb. I have some stuff that I find of things that go bad.  I have saw actions busted barrels blown up and this is with just plain old loads.  This goes back to the fed fcw. Folks shoot it in a small choke it can go bad. It is not what choke,gun,or shell we shoot it is all about us all being SAFE.

drenalinld

I will ask them if they test it and how and if they provide test results. They may be pushing the limits with their test guns which means there could  be some guns that would be be over-pressured with the same load. Do major ammo manufacturers have a % of SAAMI max they won't exceed?