turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Rem 870 Supermag shurshot 23" or Rem 870 Supermag shurshot 20"

Started by RED NECK, February 28, 2020, 02:37:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RED NECK

I had a deal fall through for a semi and have been looking at adding a new 12 gauge since last summer.I once had the 870 3.5" 20" shurshot in obsession and sold it after I had it jam on me a few times.I realize that I may have just been frustrated at the time as It was brand new and was with a certain shell.I have been more than happy with my bps nwtf but after 9 years I want to add a new 12 gauge for turkeys.

I really have become fond of the shurshot grip and have been going back and forth with these two models.I can get both locally,I am leaning towards the 23" model in the Realtree ap camo because I like the fiber optics better and I owned the other model already.I do plan on using tss from this setup and am going to go and purchase it within two weeks.

I am kind of interested to hear about guys that have owned one of these setups or currently do own one or both.
Browning'...."The Best There Is"

Austin 3:16...........

nyhunter

I bought the 23" shurshot in Realtree APG used it 1 time and my son confiscated and that the only gun he's used.  It has killed a pile of turkeys , it's been a great gun .

RED NECK

I am about 99.9% sure that I am going with the 23",I had already decided before I started thread as I just like the fiber optic setup better and for a gun with no rail,for me that is a huge bonus and I have an extra Bushnell trs 25 in Realtree camo and a Bushnell trophy xlt 1.75-4x32 in realtree ap hd with the circle plex waiting for a turkey gun to mount too.It gives me three solid optic choices for the gun.

I just went through my ammo and I have 57 longbeard shells in 3.5" #5's and a mixture of another 40 some of longbeard 4-6's in 3" and 3.5"

I always thought I would stick with the supremes & longbeard shells from a 12 gauge but I may just stick with them from my bps and 1300 and use tss #7 from the new gun.

I have been concentrating on 20 gauges the last few years but after the deal went south,I am going to pick up a new 12 gauge turkey gun instead.

The 23" model will run me about 35 dollars less than the 20" model.I will use the extra savings on a sling for it.

briton

I bought the 23" RT ss when it first came out. The turkey/predator choke it comes with is great with long beards 4,5, and 6. It also shoots the old heavyweight 7 (15) shot pretty good. Never tried tss through it but I'm sure it would shoot that well too. It's performed without any problems since I've had it and put a pile of birds in the freezer. The adjustable rifle style sights is what I wanted.

RED NECK

I am most definitely going to pattern the longbeard 3.5" in 5 & 6 and a box of tss #7 through the turkey choke it comes with,I believe it is a .670 and gets pretty decent reviews.I know I purchased a primos jellyhead when I bought the 20" and never shot stock choke,but unless I am not satisfied at 40 yards with stock choke I won't be buying an aftermarket choke for gun right away.

Turkeytider

Quote from: The Heartbreak Kid....... on February 29, 2020, 12:06:40 PM
I am most definitely going to pattern the longbeard 3.5" in 5 & 6 and a box of tss #7 through the turkey choke it comes with,I believe it is a .670 and gets pretty decent reviews.I know I purchased a primos jellyhead when I bought the 20" and never shot stock choke,but unless I am not satisfied at 40 yards with stock choke I won't be buying an aftermarket choke for gun right away.

I think 870`s and Jellyheads were made for each other.

RED NECK

I found a Rem 1187 12 gauge locally,I am going to take a look at it in an hour.If I like It I am going to buy it I think.It is supposed to be a turkey "model".

RED NECK

Turkeytider

Quote from: The Heartbreak Kid....... on March 01, 2020, 01:54:50 PM
That was a waste of an hour,what a pos that gun was.

Thought you were pretty much locked in on the 23" 870 (?). 870 turkey models, along with Mossberg 835 Ulti Mags, may well be the best turkey guns ever put out. Would not be surprised if those two guns have killed more turkeys than everything else combined!

RED NECK

I am locked in on either a 20 gauge or 12 gauge.I would buy the 23" shurshot If I go with a 12 gauge,I thought I was going to look at a 1187 model of the same gun.I went and looked at a thumbhole sps t that was worn like it was abused,missing the fiber optic sights and seeing as I am a left handed shooter the thumbhole stock did not work.I had it in my hands for about 5 seconds and said Thanks for your time.Good luck with the sale.I would not have paid $300 for that pos.

I was told it was a shurshot grip and in very good shape.I would rate it at a 2-10 looks wise.I assume it was rode hard and put away very wet,extremely wet.

RED NECK

I went and picked up a few items for my next purchase this morning,after checking around and seeing If I was able to find a few other "turkey" guns and not being able to locate any of them,I feel confident that I will be picking up the 870 23" in the next few days,I am waiting until at least Saturday as I may be hitting up a gun show,still undecided and a little leery of going because of the corona-virus.

RED NECK

The place where I was going to purchase the 23" 870 had sold the few they had but I located one tonight and am in the midst of purchasing it,I am confident I will have it and should be able to get it out in the field the last week to 10 days of our season in late May. I was not expecting to find this gun again but seeing as I did,I bought it.

RED NECK

It looks like gun will ship Thursday,I should have it within 10 days.I have most of the month of May to hunt,I am just trying to finish a few small jobs up this week for a few customers and not have much to worry about in May except hunting.

WildSpur

I have the 23" model and love it.  I shoot 3.5" magblends and a 660 jellyhead.  Once my last 3.5 shell is gone, I am sticking with 3".   It is just an awesome shooter!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Cluck more, yelp less

RED NECK

I'm going to test a few different shells out for this year. I have someone working on a few custom leather slings for the guns I have on the way. I don't think I am going to look for more shells this year as I have lots to try but I have an idea of hevi,tss #7 in 3.5 and see how they shoot this summer.