turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

POA changes

Started by strum, March 03, 2020, 02:55:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

strum

I was trying to pattern my Weatherby a few days ago.
Ended up shooting  4 boxes of LBs #6 1 3/4"  3" 12g + some other low brass shells.
  I never got what i wanted and my POA was moving all over the place  +  pattern spread was changing.
  Ive about chalked this up to the long beards  inconsistency so I purchased some Federal TSS to try .
  Heres where Im at before I try the TSS
  I found my choke was a smidge loose. Not sure if thats a big deal but I gave it a good tightening.
  Im also using a newly installed FF3  Double checked its mounting points and they are tight.
  Shooting off a 1st gen lead sled.  Trying to shoot pinpoint as if im firing a rifle.
  I need to rule out the FF maybe? by shooting some light loads at 20 and see if POA chages?
  Is there anything I could be doing wrong with the Led Sled ?
  Never had this much trouble and Im leaking money lol.
  I dont wanna shoot up the 3 boxes of TSS I just got and still be scratching my head.
   Any help or thoughts is greatly appreciated.

tnanh

I don't know anything about a Weatherby and have never even shot one but I have a Ithaca semi auto and an 870 that will do this when the forearm nut is not as tight as I can get it. I wrap a piece of leather around the nut and use channel locks to get it one or two clicks extra tight and it has fixed the problem When I shot the Federal Hwght. in my 20 gauges this was a problem I could not get straightened out so I sold all of them. I would also think a loose choke tube could contribute. I usually have to tighten mine a little after every couple of shots.

strum

I thought of that too. It was tight. Im stilll leaning more towards the LBs.

paboxcall

What distance were you shooting? Was wind a factor?

I would definitely shoot the field loads until you get your POA/POI resolved. While its possible the FF could be suspect, I returned one myself for moving between shots and they replaced it no charge, if yours is new its unlikely. Regardless shooting the field loads should shake this out for you one way or the other.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

strum

Quote from: paboxcall on March 03, 2020, 04:25:14 PM
What distance were you shooting? Was wind a factor?

I would definitely shoot the field loads until you get your POA/POI resolved. While its possible the FF could be suspect, I returned one myself for moving between shots and they replaced it no charge, if yours is new its unlikely. Regardless shooting the field loads should shake this out for you one way or the other.

I tried 20 30 and 40 yards but focused most on 30 yards.  Your right On the FF . I m gonna eliminate it first by shooting field loads at 20 and 30 yard. If I cant get a constant POA ill pull it and thru a different scope. I have a gobblestopper red dot I can try . Ive used it for like 10 years so I have confidence in it.

paboxcall

The red dot is a variable. It was my own experience last year - but for the record I did buy this FF3 secondhand off fleabay, so possible I bought someone else's problem. It looked to be in good shape and was a good deal.

I missed one after sighting that used FF3 a week or two before opening day last spring. Shot it that same afternoon after the miss found I was 10 inches off. Sighted it back in, shot fine the following morning on another hunt, tag filled.

Ran a round through it to check POI couple months later before the fall turkey season, and it was 5-6 inches off again.

FF was awesome, they replaced it no questions, and the new one is on and sighted in. No issues now, its rock solid.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

USMC0331

Set up at 10 yards using cheap field loads, once zeroed repeat at 20 and 30 yards. Once this is complete zero your turkey load at 30 yards then 40.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk