turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Macassar ebony striker

Started by Shady valley birds, February 23, 2020, 01:13:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom Dooley

I love my Stuckey mac ebony. Great on glass, crystal and my green slate. Probably my favorite all around striker. I do scotch brite it more often than my other strikers and like my diamondwoods it does have a sweet spot.

Shady valley birds

I ordered a halloran 1 piece mac ebony last week but a good tulipwood is next in line!
If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got.

Turkeytider

Quote from: Shady valley birds on March 01, 2020, 01:49:09 PM
I ordered a halloran 1 piece mac ebony last week but a good tulipwood is next in line!

Just got a one piece tulip from Jeff Harrison ( JLH on OG ). Plays REALLY nice on my Crystal Mistress and aluminum call from Al Holbert ( Enticer ).

Shady valley birds

If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got.

JLH

I have stayed out of this thread...i didnt want to "sell" anyone.

I will say this about macassar.

I can buy a board, (most are small) after you cut it into blanks, maybe 3 to 5....out of those 5 blanks, more often than not , ill get a striker that is "dead" sounding.

That "dead" striker is a $20.+ piece of wood that is worthless as a striker....

Macassar does this more than any other wood i have.

Now, not all the boards i buy are like this, and i canntell immediately if its a stinker!  just saying there can possibly be some "duds" out there from other guys.

If you have good macassar, that is super dry, it make a very good striker! It should grip well, and play on most surfaces.
I will guarantee anything i sell, if it doesnt play for you, let me know!

Also....there's a few other woods in that hardness and density range that will perform the same.

Harty

Quote from: JLH on March 02, 2020, 08:00:43 AM
I have stayed out of this thread...i didnt want to "sell" anyone.

I will say this about macassar.

I can buy a board, (most are small) after you cut it into blanks, maybe 3 to 5....out of those 5 blanks, more often than not , ill get a striker that is "dead" sounding.

That "dead" striker is a $20.+ piece of wood that is worthless as a striker....

Macassar does this more than any other wood i have.

Now, not all the boards i buy are like this, and i canntell immediately if its a stinker!  just saying there can possibly be some "duds" out there from other guys.

If you have good macassar, that is super dry, it make a very good striker! It should grip well, and play on most surfaces.
I will guarantee anything i sell, if it doesnt play for you, let me know!

Also....there's a few other woods in that hardness and density range that will perform the same.

Thanks for the insight Jeff. It's pertinent and appreciated from my perspective.the more I can learn about the various woods and strikers the better!

Buckrub

I got a FROGWOOD from Jeff and it plays great on every surface I have and I pretty much have them all !!!! 

Spitten and drummen

Well said Jeff. I still love macassar.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

BTH

Had 2 mac ebony pegs from a call supply place that did exactly what Jeff described as being dead. They sounded like a red cedar striker when all was said and done.

I used my Halloran 2 pc striker as my "jig".  I weighed both the tops and the pegs to 24 grams total, balanced them out by length.....everything. Glued them up.....nada! Gorgeous grain as well. All for nothing. Even tried thinning down 1 of the pegs near the tip to help them sing a tad. Still nothing.
Phil 4:13

Spitten and drummen

Well all I can say is if you get your hands on a good one , it will go straight in your vest.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Shady valley birds

Thank you Jeff the thing is you can definitely sell me a striker!

Tom007

Don't forget John Sinclair. I just got a Snakewood striker from him. Very well detailed, and sounds fantastic. Everything John makes sounds great.....
"Solo hunter"

Turkeytider

Quote from: Tom007 on March 03, 2020, 07:42:59 AM
Don't forget John Sinclair. I just got a Snakewood striker from him. Very well detailed, and sounds fantastic. Everything John makes sounds great.....

Is there anything Snakewood won`t play on?

JLH

Quote from: Tom007 on March 03, 2020, 07:42:59 AM
Have to agree with that!!

KeyDett

I like a good Macassar striker, it provides a different sound and is just another arrow in the quiver. I have a few different ones by different call makers.  I will say that this year that I will be carrying Jeff Harrison's.  After buying a few strikers from him last year, I had him make me several different ones for me for this season.  The way this works for me now is I call Jeff and just ask what else I should  get, he tells some wood I have never heard of, I get it and it sounds awesome. Great guy to work with that I can not speak highly enough of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk