OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Recommend me a box call

Started by LRD, February 22, 2020, 12:35:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Happy hooker

If your a run and gun then maybe a longbox is what suits you bette,,more volume to locate.

StruttinGobbler3

In my opinion, David Halloran's box calls are some of the most underrated calls out there. For a box that you can get fairly quickly, they can't be beat. Mac ebony/walnut is personally my favorite, and if you ask David he says that's also his favorite hunting box. Purpleheart/cedar is another awesome choice and used to be David's preferred call until he made the ebony and walnut combo. Plenty of other awesome makers though, most of the higher end ones will have a significant wait. Darrin Dawkins, Marlin Watkins, TJ Johnson, Steve Mann, etc. Lonnie Mabry makes a killer box call as well, but you have to go to his shop in north Georgia to get one as he will not ship calls.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
John 3:16

"Fall hunting is maneuvers. Spring hunting is war"
Tom Kelly, Tenth Legion

zelmo1

k4brannon

Bob Harwells been making great calls for a long time and probably has one ready to send you

MikeStaten

Lots of good call makers out there.  Marlin Watkins, TJ Johnson and Scott Witter would be on my short list.

va longbeard

Quote from: MikeStaten on February 24, 2020, 01:19:36 PM
Lots of good call makers out there.  Marlin Watkins, TJ Johnson and Scott Witter would be on my short list.

That's a great list not sure of Scott's wait but I bet its long now with him winning the short box at Nashville this year.

All great call makers for sure!

LRD

Anyone got a Halloran Ebony Over Walnut that they want to part with?

HD28

Spring Creek cedar box with purpleheart lid.
Great call at an amazing price! You would not be disappointed!

Screaming6x6

I recently picked up a Watkins Misfit and have a Spring Creek box as well. Both put out some really nice calls.

ArkyRidgeRunna

Loyalist84

There are tons of great makers out there, but I just picked up a box from Josh Farley and it's smoking. He has soundfiles of the different wood combinations he makes as well so you can educate yourself on the sound you want before you order.

MikeStaten

Quote from: va longbeard on February 24, 2020, 04:56:38 PM
Quote from: MikeStaten on February 24, 2020, 01:19:36 PM

That's a great list not sure of Scott's wait but I bet its long now with him winning the short box at Nashville this year.

All great call makers for sure!

Just got a new shortbox from Mr Witter tonight.  Outstanding call.   Sounds amazing and really easy to run.

MJW

What combo did you get from Scott Witter?

MikeStaten

Beards and Hooks

I have boxes from Lonnie Mabry,  Jeff White, Albert Paul, SS, Josh Farley, Jack Scott, Mike crooks (Spring creek), and Albert Paul and I love them all! I only have one true longbox and I am still trying to get a hang of it, prefer the short boxes at this point. If your looking for a great deal on boxes so to get a hang with Jeff White field grades and Spring Creeks are definitely that, the classifieds are a great place as well. If your anywhere near Georgia, Lonnie Mabry makes some awesome calls, Pots, Long Boxes, Short Boxes, Scratch boxes, Wingbone, cane Yelpers at great prices. The best part of visiting Lonnie is the man is a legend in call making and hunting and so much fun to visit, you'll leave feeling like you have known the man for a lifetime. Hope that may help!