Previous topic - Next topic

SnozzBox

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SnozzBox

SnozzBox

SnozzBox

I'll end the short box parade with one last "Special Reserve Grade" call, this one built for the 36th Annual NWTF Convention in Nashville in 2012.

Box:              Oregon Fiddleback Maple
Box Inlay:      Hawaiian Toon
Base:             Kansas Mulberry
Base Inlay:     Hawaiian Toon
Lid:                Kansas "Sunburst" Mud-Cured Osage Orange
Lid Inlay:        Green Mud-Cured Osage Orange

What a combination of woods, and what an incredible instrument.  Fabulous player on both sides, tight and extremely precise.  Playing a series of yelps is like working your way through the gears of a 911 Carrera.  The construction, as always with Niles, is tops.  The hand-rubbed finish always a cut above the rest.  And the materials?  Drop dead spectacular.  The maple is densely fiddle-backed and beautiful.  The osage lid sets it apart - I've never seen a piece like it.  Niles dubbed it "Sunburst" and that is a perfect description - it is the most spectacular piece of osage I've ever seen, incorporating a combination of greens, yellows and oranges that have an amazing "electric sparkle" that makes it look alive.  My pics unfortunately cannot capture the beauty and "life" in this piece of wood.  I'll never forget the comments made by a collector to me a few years ago - He had purchased a few box calls from me and we were talking after he had received them.  I would guess that he was somewhere up in his late '70's and he said something I had never consciously thought of, but which I guess we all really know and that is that wood might be the only thing on the planet that is more beautiful in death than in life.  This piece of osage captures that idea better than any piece of wood I've ever seen.  In typical Niles fashion, he incorporated two knots into the lid.  The knot near the screw is large, prominent and tight and adds greatly to the character of the call.
Not much more to say but Spectacular!  Extraordinary!  Winston Churchill was a connoisseur of fine things and was known to have once remarked "I am easily satisfied with the very best."  If he were a turkey man I'd bet Niles Oesterle box calls would get his enthusiastic thumb's-up as "the very best."

SnozzBox

SnozzBox

SnozzBox

SnozzBox

SnozzBox

paboxcall

Those last two are exquisite. The finest example of craftsmanship and art.

Wow.

:z-winnersmiley:
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Collector

Here are a few shots of mine that I bought from Niles about 30 years back.

SnozzBox

Hey Collector,

What a fantastic call.  Amazing butternut as always, and you just have to love those knots!  A very understated and classy call.  Would you let me know if you ever decide to let it go?  Ha that's kind of a trick question, as folks are rarely interested in letting go of an Oesterle call, right?  That being said, would you, please?

Thanks for posting the pics, sir!

nsselle

Here is a long box from Niles. Not the greatest picture but all I have at the moment.

20180220_211523 by
[url=https://flic.kr/p/2iD8ErB]
20180220_211539 by

idratherb

His are in a class all their own

Vtbowhunter3

Call was handed down to me. Year 2000 Birdseye maple from Dorset VT. Red Cedar from Hermann, MO.