turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Down to my last 3 shells

Started by Old Timer, February 17, 2020, 10:40:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Timer

Been using the old fed #4 through may 835 with .695 factory choke for years and years. Picked up a carlson`s lb tube.683, lohman long shot .680 and my tried and true factory. The new Grand Slams don`t like a wad stripper i tried it.I have an assortment of lb 3inch  4,5 has anyone shot them thru a lohman or factory tube? Assortment of new federals. I like 4 or 5`s Maybe I should pick up some heavy 13 to try. But this weather up here goes from 0 to 30 and back down. Can`t wait to pattern. Certainly have some work to do don`t i!

KYHeadhunter02

My Mossberg loves the Hevi Mag blends. Last bird I shot was 40-45 yards and it dropped him and he was stone cold dead.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

bbcoach

OT, I shoot an 835 as well.  My 835 LOVES Hevi-13 7's through a .670 Pure Gold choke.  She'll put over 300 7's in a 10 at 40 with 3 1/2's.  I've been using this setup for 10 years now and she hammers turkeys.  Not sure which way you want to go but Devin4484 has a used Pure gold for a 835 in the classifieds if your interested.  Since Hevi's are slightly denser then lead, you could move up to 6's or 7's, get more pellets in your pattern and not lose a thing with your #4's.  Plenty of us swear by the 7's but 6's aren't anything to scoff at either.  Maybe a few of the other Hevi-13 users will chime in as well and you can go to the Mossy pattern pics and see what all the fuss is about.  Good luck with whatever direction you take.   

trkehunr93

I picked up some Hevi 13 3" 4's a couple of years ago cheap that pattern fantastic thru that choke.  I wanted to see what they did and it really surprised me.  I know 4's isn't a go to by most in Hevi but damn it patterned good in my 835 thru that .695 ulti full.  I know Natchez had some still but not sure if they still have the 1 3/4 oz, they had some 2oz. on sale also. 

Cut N Run

I'm also a big Hevi Shot fan.  I shoot 3" straight 6s or 7s, which throw incredible patterns at 40 yards. My gun likes them better than 3.5" or Mag Blends.  The Hevi Shot doesn't shoot as tight as TSS, but it is superior to lead and more than plenty to kill turkeys at normal hunting ranges.  It absolutely thumps turkeys.  I think you'll be impressed at the difference in pattern density between Lead & Hevi Shot.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Gooserbat

Get some Apex #9 3" and be done with it.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Turkeytider

Quote from: Cut N Run on February 17, 2020, 10:17:55 PM
I'm also a big Hevi Shot fan.  I shoot 3" straight 6s or 7s, which throw incredible patterns at 40 yards. My gun likes them better than 3.5" or Mag Blends.  The Hevi Shot doesn't shoot as tight as TSS, but it is superior to lead and more than plenty to kill turkeys at normal hunting ranges.  It absolutely thumps turkeys.  I think you'll be impressed at the difference in pattern density between Lead & Hevi Shot.

Jim

As am I. 3" Hevi-13, 2oz, #6 through a 660 Jellyhead out of an 870 Super Mag. For 40 yards and in, great load.

Old Timer

Quote from: Gooserbat on February 18, 2020, 09:44:34 AM
Get some Apex #9 3" and be done with it.
Can`t shoot #9 in the  state of New York. If I do use tss it will probably be in a 20. Thanks

Sir-diealot

Apex makes some number 8's we can use here.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

hotspur

I just bought a box of 25 lead fiochii 3 in # 6